Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammer N3800 vs. Laguna 14 SUV

Harold, thanks for the comments. I live in Australia, the standard voltage here is 220. So, if my understanding is correct, 2250 watt motor (3 HP) divided by 220 volts equals 10.23 AMP draw. Have I forgotten my high school physics?

Rick, interesting comment about your Laguna. In all my research so far, I have generally come across love-hate comments about the Laguna, very little in-between, which I find concerning. It makes me wonder if there is a serious quality control issue or initial set up challenge with some of the band saws. It sounds like there are a few lemons out there!

Quote Originally Posted by David Benoit View Post
    Harold, thanks for the comments. I live in Australia, the standard voltage here is 220. So, if my understanding is correct, 2250 watt motor (3 HP) divided by 220 volts equals 10.23 AMP draw. Have I forgotten my high school physics?

Rick, interesting comment about your Laguna. In all my research so far, I have generally come across love-hate comments about the Laguna, very little in-between, which I find concerning. It makes me wonder if there is a serious quality control issue or initial set up challenge with some of the band saws. It sounds like there are a few lemons out there!
    Hi David, you're missing power factor and efficiency in your calculation, so input current would be higher.

That said my 4 HP Hammer machines start and run on a 15 ampere circuit without issue, although 20 would be ideal. How in a home shop am I going to load a 4 HP motor to 100% constantly?

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by David Benoit View Post

I believe the problem with Laguna is that the after sale support is .... uneven.

the 3800 wont be here for a year from my understanding, just bought the 4400 myself
    Last edited by Mathew Mann; 01-27-2013 at 9:17 AM. Reason: sp

I'm looking for a new bandsaw. The resawing results from my Jet 18 have been inconsistent. I'm not talking about veneers, tall boards or daily use. The problems have come in occasionally resawing a 1x6 in half to make a book-matched panel.

Laguna is the name I have heard most often based on the reputation of their Italian saws. Is the Felder Hammer N4400 in the same class? Any feedback would be appreciated.