Thread: Delta Drill Press 17-965

Delta Drill Press 17-965

Okay guys, I'm over my want of getting a benchtop drill press. I'm going to try and keep the one I have with a little effort in getting it squared away. The first thing I'm going to do is re-seat the chuck which is a 5/8th JT3. If you check this site, http://www.ereplacementparts.com/del...3279_3670.html, you will find lots of info on this DP including how to remove and reinstall the chuck and also the quill/spindle.. I had no idea that you need some wedges that are specifically made for this purpose. You can get those here.....http://www.mcmaster.com/?error_redir...9/2410/=l5uipd. Right now I'm thinking that I should just get a new chuck since mine is 11 years old. One of the bit grippers is a little loose. Also trying to decide what make of chuck to get. I'm off to do a Google search.........................

Wow! Those Jacobs chucks cost major $$! However I found a Jacobs ball bearning model 14N at Sears for $135 w/free shipping. It's not 5/8th but 1/2". The 5/8 model starts out with 1/8th and I think I would like to be able to use very small bits sometimes and 1/2" will be okay for the max. I was looking a a cheaper Grizzly model (H6204) for less than 1/2 the Jacobs price, but decided for higher quality over the long run. YMMV.
    Last edited by Stan Smith; 01-23-2013 at 2:19 PM.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Try a gander over at YouTube and search for 'drill chck removal' and you will see various methods of removal and installation.
    With top-end chucks, you get less run-out, which may or may not be needed for your drilling demands.
    Definition of an expert: Someone more than 50 miles from home with a briefcase.

Thanks Danny. I did look at youtube but the one I put in my post is the best that I've seen and very clear at least for me. My motto is if you want good results, you need good equipment. I almost got the Grizzly until the light bulb came on and told me not to. There are wide variations on Jacobs chuck prices, too.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Well, I'm closing out on this one. I got powertwist belts for my dp. Had to buy a 5' one and divide it into 2. Then remove a link or two on the drive belt (motor end). Finally, had to turn them over because I had the tabs going the wrong direction. This made a difference for smoother running, too. I discovered that I had a compound problem. I thought it was the DP, but later determined that my pen drilling vice was off. I'm still waiting for my Steel City laser attachment from M&M Tool Supply. The Jacobs chuck is a lot better than the stock chuck. This is stuff I should have done a long time ago so don't get lazy like me.
    Project Salvager

Where did you get your 5/8 JT3 from? Mine did come with a Jacobs, and the teeth are worn enough so the key slips now and again.... Yes, already got a new key. Quite annoying. Need to replace the chuck. Really dont want an off brand.

TIA

Look on eBay for a chuck. I just sold several of them. The usually go in the $25 to $35 range.

Hi Kyle. I saw a bunch of used chucks on ebay, but mine was used also and I wanted a new Jacobs one with ball bearings. I didn't replace it with a 5/8 but bought a 1/2" instead. I think I might have been confused about the bit size range because the 5/8th description said from 1/8 to......but you could use smaller bits with the 1/2". I got mine at Sears who had the best price about 2 weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Where did you get your 5/8 JT3 from? Mine did come with a Jacobs, and the teeth are worn enough so the key slips now and again.... Yes, already got a new key. Quite annoying. Need to replace the chuck. Really dont want an off brand. I'm going to hold onto my 5/8 in case I ever need it for something the 1/2" chuck can't handle, but I don't remember when the last time was that I used any big bits for anything.

TIA
    Project Salvager