Thread: H C Marsh Miter Box

H C Marsh Miter Box

I have a H C Marsh Miter Box, along with a Henry Disston & Sons 24" Saw, that was my great grandfather's. One of the uprights (what is the correct term?) is missing and one has the bottom broken off (these are the milled pieces that hold the saw and fit into the guides). One set of legs says "H C Marsh Rockford Illinois" and the other "The New Marsh Improved." It works fairly well with the wood replacements I made (the saw is great), but would like to find the uprights. Is it possible that uprights from a Miller Falls or early Stanley would work? Any history on the saw and miter box would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

First off, welcome aboard

Good that you have a tool with family history.

I don't have access to a Marsh, Knowing the diameter of the post would help. What I do have is a Stanley model 100 and the post is .725 dia and 5-1/2 long. The post on my Stanley 2246 miter box are .750 dia but the same lenth of 5-1/2 in. Both have the same guides.

Maybe someone with more knowledge or might have something in their boneyard that might help will come along.

Regards, Lamar

Hi Wayne,
    Welcome.
    A photo, in a case such as this, would be particularly helpful.

I'll concur with the requests for both measurements and a photo, if you're a digital-photo kind of guy. I have, or used to have (can't recall if I gave it to my son), a Marsh-Ayers* box; perhaps the same company in a later iteration, perhaps not. It was very similar to a Millers-Falls Langdon Acme box, but I never measured the saw guides.

*It was missing the leg set at one end. Before I found my M-F Langdon box, I intended to make a wooden replacement and re-christen it "Marsh-Ahab."

First, thanks to all for the welcome and the help. The posts are 0.6875" in diameter and possibly 5-1/2" long (the ends are gone). I believe Marsh was purchased by Stanley in the 1920s as a Stanley Marsh Picture Frame #100 Miter Machine is in the 1934 catalog, page 133.
    http://www.roseantiquetools.com/site...ley1934new.pdf
    Hope these pictures get loaded.

Thanks again,

Wayne
    DSC_0026.jpgDSC_0027.jpgDSC_0030.jpgDSC_0033.jpg

"New" Guide Posts

The miter box has "new" guide posts thanks to the generosity of an "anonymous" member of Sawmill Creek. He asked only that I make a donation to Sawmill Creek. We agreed that I would also pay for shipping and now the H C Marsh miter box works just as it did for my great grandfather over 90 years ago. I'm certain he used it when building the house my mother grew up in as there is lots of crown molding. They moved into the house the day before my mother was born.

A big thank you to a very generous member and to the whole Sawmill Creek community.

Wayne

"New" Guide Posts 1.jpg

And this is exactly why I don't really read any other woodworking forums other than OWWM.

Good on you, Wayne for being able to use your Grandpa's mitre box.

And as for you, anonymous giver, well done.
    Where did I put that tape measure...