Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Nova 2

Super Nova 2

Greetings everyone. Today I purchased a new Super Nova 2. I get home which is about a 1 1/2 hour drive from the closest dealer and assemble the new chuck, only to find that I can't get the slot in the back to line up with the hole for the locking screw. This is the screw that I would use all the time to lock the chuck to the spindle of my lathe. I took a picture with my phone and it isn't that great.
    Has anyone else had this problem? Do I need to remove the 'circlip' in the back to turn the back section or ????
    IMG_1524.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

It looks to me that that clip is holding on a dust cover for the gears that make the chuck work...... If you don't have or don't use your reverse, there shouldn't be a problem whether the chuck needs to be locked in...... My opinion only.... Jerry (in Tucson)

Hi Jerry and thanks for the response. I usually run both ways when I sand so it would be a definite disadvantage not to have the chuck 'locked in place.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

I have 3 SN2's and all have threaded inserts that leave the set screw very accessible. Yours seems different. Is is already threaded and has no insert? I can't help you then.

5. It is easy enough to rotate the clip so that you can gain access........I have done it on two of my SN2's.......it takes snap ring pliers ....larger size.......good luck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Hey Roger! So once I remove the circlip can I just rotate the plastic index cover? How is it locked in place?
    Pete

7. Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Hey Roger! So once I remove the circlip can I just rotate the plastic index cover? How is it locked in place?

Additional info:

Peter........after posting the above, I got to thinking........the backing plate has a molded area where it allows the pinion gear to set in the chuck and it holds it in.........if the backing plate is not allowing the set screw to be aligned, then it is likely that the backing plate or the chuck hub is defective.......if they tapped the chuck in the wrong place, it needs to go back and replaced with another........the hole should line up with one of the groves in the backing plate......

I may have misunderstood the issue when I first spoke...........I have 4 SN2's and on two of them the ears on the snap ring itself were positioned where it blocked being able to take an allen wrench and the set screw into the tapped hole. By the way, that little red leather disk must go inside the hole before the set screw to protect the threads and give you a good lock on the adapter.........good luck!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-22-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: additonal info

I have several and no problems with any. There is a small hole on the side that lines up with one of the slots and gives access to the grub screw that holds the adapter in. The adapter has a grub screw to hold it to the spindle, but that is always accessible as it project beyond the back of the chuck.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Hi again Roger. Yes the problem is that the backing plate with the index holes has two slots one each side, these slots, one of which appears to need to be aligned with the notch in the back to allow me to get the to the threaded hole in the hub does not align as I think it should. Thanks again for the comments and yep I do know that the little red washer (didn't know it was leather) needs to go into the hole first.

Guess I'm gonna have to take another road trip and return it!
    Pete

10. More info.......going back to look again at the pic you posted, it appears the hole is not far off.......it may be that you have over tightened the adapter a bit too much and if you back it off just slightly, you may be able to get the red disk and the set screw started in the hole with the allen wrench.........it looks fixable from the picture to me!

Maybe it's the picture, but I am not seeing anything wrong except that the black backing plate needs to be rotated a bit. Take the snap ring off and rotate the backing plate to the right location. I'd certainly spend 5 minutes doing that before driving an hour and a half.

As for the spindle set screw, I have never used that on any of my SN2s and I have never had one come loose (even in reverse). (My new Titan will spin off easily in reverse though.)

12. Okay.....going back and re- reading your post..........you may be trying to put the set screw that holds the adapter in the chuck into the spindle screw position.....they are two different holes and the one that locks the adapter into the chuck itself is in the bottom of one of the slots..........the set screw that locks the adapter on the spindle is on the edge of the adapter which has the sides for the wrench to fit [sold separately]

I am not talking about the big T-handle allen wrench, I am talking about the adapter wrench [again sold separately, but if you have a large adjustable wrench, it will work fine, and you don't have to buy the Nova wrench]

Send me a PM if you have more trouble, and we can exhange info and perhaps I can talk you through this......it appears your chuck is fine to me.......this being your first one, you may not understand the directions clearly, and the is where the confusion is!

13. I went out to my shop and got one of my SN2's to compare to your picture.........my sn2 has a hole in the side of the chuck where you put the small allen wrench and set screw through to go into the hole that holds the adapter in the chuck body. From your picture it looks like the hole in the outside of the chuck body is not machined correctly.......it appears you have a half moon in the edge of the rim, where my SN2 has some metal between where the hole is cut and the back rim of the chuck body, and the hole aligns with the slot in the backing plate.

If this is indeed the case......you have a defective chuck, and it was not caught by Quality control.......this kind of thing happens with labor in the PRCC........most Nova Chucks are good, but once in a while one slips by.......Teknatool stands behind their products........I would try to exhange it at WC first, so you do not have a wait to get one....they being a dealer can get remedies faster than an individual.........WC is a good company to deal with!

I am getting more and more confused. I'm sure it's just me. There is no adaptor as I bought the 33M to fit my Oneway.

There is only one hole in the body. Possibly this photo shows my problem better.

IMG_1527.jpg
    Pete

15. Since you have no adapter, you do not need to worry about a set screw to go into the body.........it just tightens against the spindle when you put it on your lathe...........you do not use the red disk for this...........

Now, can you get an allen wrench and the set screw into the hole? It should be enough of a center hub protruding out the back of the chuck that you do not have to try to use the slot..........all my SN2's have adapters, and I have not used a direct thread because my spindle requires an adapter...........it should just screw on the spindle and you should be able to put the set screw into the hole and screw it down on the collar area of the spindle.........I would like to see it on your lathe and a pic of that if you could show us.........

Sorry for any confusion........I was not aware it was the M33 version which needs no adapter.............pics would help us to help you!