Thread: Cherry in Connecticut

Cherry in Connecticut

Hi all, wondering if anyone can recommend a good source for cherry in the Bristol area. I know there is E R Hinman in Burlington but I have never been by that place when they are open. Apparently they don't do weekends! And I don't even know if they sell retail or if they are only wholesale.

Any other sources would be appreciated

Thanks
    Stan
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

Also interested, the only place I've had luck is ct river lumber co, in old saybrook. They are very nice and they have a decent selection of hardwoods.

Maybe Parkerville Lumber in Manchester, woodcraft in Manchester, or Connecticut Wood Groups Hardwod outlet in Enfield. If you want more of a drive Conway hardwood Products in New Milford or Kellogg Lumber in Bethel both generally stock a fair variety, always worth a call ahead.
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 01-22-2013 at 6:15 AM.

Stan

CWGH in Enfield has cherry in abundance. Probably the last 15' of the lumber rack on the top level, right side, is various grades of 4/4 cherry, and below is cherry stock up to probably 16/4, maybe even thicker.
    It's going to be a drive for you, but you will probably find what you need, unless it's something pretty exotic. You can spend all day there sorting your own lumber if you desire, and no one will hassle you. Just be neat.

Steve

If you're in the Saybrook area and you need lumber, I would suggest that you give GK Woodworking in Griswold a try. It's off exit 85, on 395.
    Don't be fooled by the small storage facility if you do go there. Gary has a very nice selection of quality lumber,and cabinet grade sheet goods. The usual percentage of waste will not apply.

General Woodcraft in New London used to be fairly good for lumber, but could be a little hit and miss at times. I haven't been in there for lumber in a few years though. I did stop in for some drawer slides last summer. The lumber racks looked pretty full then.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-22-2013 at 6:37 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thank you for the heads up, I've heard of GK however never found them they also look like they will sharpen jointer/planer knives in house which is great.I've used woodcraft once and I've had better luck with saybrook both with what he has in stock and with his specials.

Downes & Reader Hardwoods is an excellent source for lumber - cherry and mahogany among others - but they require a - Correction - I checked during business hours and it is a 500 bd ft order (not a $ 500.00 min.) - not exactly a source for a small shop, but I emphasize - excellent source.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 01-23-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: correction
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Conway has an extensive indoor lumber store, worth the trip

Quote Originally Posted by steve joly View Post
    Thank you for the heads up, I've heard of GK however never found them they also look like they will sharpen jointer/planer knives in house which is great.I've used woodcraft once and I've had better luck with saybrook both with what he has in stock and with his specials.
    Steve
    Gary runs the business out his residence, and it is very easy to drive right by it thinking that you just drove by a small farm.
    I-395 to exit 85. Drive through the first stop light at the end of the ramp and turn right at the next ( Tractor Supply) and you're on Rte. 138. Go ~2.5 miles and turn right at the stop light. This is a 3 way fork, and you want to the middle road, Browning Rd. Gary is about 300 yards up on the left, Brown house. If you get to the Silo, you went to far.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)