Thread: Protective cover on Rowmark not coming off clean

Protective cover on Rowmark not coming off clean

I have some Rowmark plastic material (gray) that has been in the garage a little too long, I guess. When I try to peel the protective covering off, much of the adhesive residue is staying on the material. Any suggestions as to how to remove the covering with all of the adhesive staying with the covering or how to remove the remaining adhesive after I pull the protective covering off? I stopped when I peeled one corner back and discovered the problem.
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

I would try mineral spirits but your WD40 might do it.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 01-21-2013 at 11:23 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I know rapidremover will work, but if you rub too hard or fail to rinse right away can go through the color ply. Denatured alcohol should do it more safely. One thing you can do if storing for a long time is peel that clear off and replace with transfer tape. Even when old it comes off cleanly.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

If it is hard to peel and not falling apart or brittle
    I find sometimes a little heat helps, maybe from a hairdryer
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

Definitely a temperature related issue for us. Our plastic sheets are stored in a cold warehouse. I will stop trying to remove the protective plastic as soon as it starts leaving the adhesive residue behind. I let them sit in a warmer room for 15 minutes or so and then try again and it comes off cleanly. Never is an issue in the summer...

I have found that common lighter fluid will remove any adhesive from any material. It is one of our shops most used items!