Thread: 10" SCMS vs. 12" SCMS?

Question 10" SCMS vs. 12" SCMS?

Hi Everyone,

First off, this is only my second post at Sawmill Creek, and I am impressed with the thread discussions - very informative.

I am considering the merits of going with either a 10" SCMS or the bigger brother at 12". I do plan to do some deck and shop building with it, but it's primary job is for woodworking, not carpentry. So, cutting the 4x4 posts for an addition to the existing deck would be the only time I could see having the bigger unit as a plus. Is there something else I am missing here?

I have the brand and model already decided upon, so that's not much of a consideration. It's Bosch, unless someone can convince me there's a better one - I like the upfront controls...
    It's the initial unit cost. Are the blades that much more expensive for a good one in the 12" variety?

Regards,
    Marc
    Last edited by Marc Langille; 04-30-2005 at 8:08 PM.
    Marc
    NWA Woodworker-Tech

Blog Entries
    less flex in a 10" saw....jack

Marc - I do deck work as well as workshop projects. I use a 12 inch CMS for the deck and carpentry work, set up on a job site stand - both are Dewalt products. In the workshop I like a smaller SCMS and use the Hitachi 8-1/2 inch SCMS. If I were limited to just one saw I would opt for the smaller SCMS with portability as a key concern for building decks and outdoor projects. You can cut 4X4's accurately enough by flipping them. I would not think that blade price is a big consideration, since you will probably buy only one high quality blade that will last a very long time for cabinetry and furniture, and use the "lumber" blade for decks and carpentry. I highly recommend the Forrest Chopmaster for the high quality blade.

Good thoughts - are the laser tracking lines really useful? I have seen mixed opinions on that. My thought is that you should be able to measure correctly and confirm the cut by lowering the blade without the motor running...

I have the 12" Bosch and really like it. I purchased it to use on job sites and have it bolted to a Ridgid MSUV for portability. It works really well but it is a large saw. I don't use it in the shop as I prefer my sliding table or even a miter gauge as it takes less room. The sliding mechanism of the saw really makes it take up lots of room in the shop and I can't justify it. Take a look at the capacities of the 10" and 12". If I remember right (in hindsight) the 12" will cut 6x stock and the 10" 4x. Very rarely will you be cutting 6x, so if you're not a professional, I'd probably go with the 10"

First, let's get your acronyms correct. I'll bet you're considering 10" and 12" compound miter saws, not sliding compound miter saws (SCMS). A 10" CMS is okay if you're just using it as a simple cut-off saw, but it is limited in capacity for many jobs. Check out how big a piece it can cut when mitering at 45 degrees and beveled over at 45 degrees. That limited capacity has fostered the 12" CMS, and also the SCMS.

Hi Jamie,
    Actually my initial posting is correct - I intend to buy the slider version, since the capacity of cutting wider stock is important to me. I am starting to lean towards the 10" SCMS, based on everyone's feedback.
    Marc
    NWA Woodworker-Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Langille
    Good thoughts - are the laser tracking lines really useful? I have seen mixed opinions on that. My thought is that you should be able to measure correctly and confirm the cut by lowering the blade without the motor running...
    Hi Marc

I have the Delta twin laser. I have found them useful, and at least on the Delta/Porter-Cable saws the lasers seem accurate and stay that way. I'd be skeptical about the accuracy of the add-on devices. I used my saw to make some octagonal trays and found the lasers handy to cut to marks below where the blade entered the work. I've not used the saw outside so far so I can't say if the laser lines are visible in daylight.

HTH

Curt