Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowl gouge size

Bowl gouge size

I've mostly been using carbide cutters to this point but want to get into traditional tools. I went inexpensive on the roughing gouge, skew, and parting tool for now, but would like my gouges to be of high quality from the beginning. The grace period is over - I'm sufficiently hooked to commit to quality tools.

I'm on a midi lathe and most of my spindle turning is no larger than 3x3x12 and the bowls and boxes I will be doing will mostly be 6" diameter or less. I think a 3/8" spindle gouge makes sense, but not sure whether to mate that with a 3/8" or 1/2"V bowl gouge as I get started. Your thoughts, masters of the spinning wood?

Pretty hard to beat Doug Thompson's bowl gouges, V or U flute in 3/8". Make your own handle and you have a great gouge that will last a looong time.

On a mini lathe you can get by with a Thohmpson 1/2V but I would go with the 3/8" V if it were me. It will give less stress on the lathe. Give Doug a call or e-mail and I bet he will give you a good answer.

Alan

4. If it were me, and your statements about what you anticipate are accurate, then I would go with a 1/2" bowl gouge .....a pretty good overall choice, and it will do a 10 or 12" bowl if you find you want to do one occasionally. For boxes you need to get a square scraper.......that will help immensely with straight sided walls and flat bottoms. Good luck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have a 12" midi and agree with Alan that a Thompson 3/8" V. I do use my 1/2" on it but the 3/8" doesn't load it as much. My problem is I tend to get heavy handed with the 1/2" and can bog it down. I do 10" to 11 1/2" bowls on it with no problems.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I use a 1/2" D-Way for most work, but my Thompson 3/8"V is a wonderful tool for smaller projects and for detail work - getting into tighter spots, etc. I can actually pull a smoother cut with it in those situations.

+1 on the Thompson 3/8 V gouge. I have several Thompson gouges but the 3/8" is my go to tool unless I'm doing some heavy roughing and then I go to my 1/2.
    If you talk to Doug, ask him about the travel set, it comes with a handle and four 3/8" tools (bowl gouge, spindle gouge, skew, etc) that store inside the handle. Makes a great starter set.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I started on my 1220 midi with both a 3/8 and 1/2, both from Doug and both the Jimmy Clewes deep V. These are still my goto gouges. I recently purchased a D-Way gouge and am impressed with its quality. I agree with a scraper or two for boxes AND bowls. I routinely use both a square (actually slightly rounded) and a rounded scraper.

One thing that Jimmy Clewes teaches in bowl turning is to use both a V gouge (1/2") sharpened with a fingernail grind and one sharpened with a conventional grind (3/8") often called a bottom feeder. They cut differently and the conventional grind will work much better in the transition area between the sides and bottom and along the bottom while the fingernail grind is superior on the sides and on the outside.

For spindle work I would look at BOTH a standard 3/8 spindle gouge and a 3/8 detail gouge. Again, slightly different grinds and they are used a bit differently. My detail gouge is a P&N and I find it holds a good edge. While I have a few of Doug's spindle gouges, I find I use my Sorby's more, and even the Packard gouges are quite good.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Never thought of it from a stress on the lathe standpoint, but that makes perfect sense.

It was already a given that it was going to be from Doug, haha. I'll go with a 3/8"V for now with the expectation of adding the 1/2" if I start getting my hands on larger blanks and get brave enough to turn larger.

Thanks much for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    I started on my 1220 midi with both a 3/8 and 1/2, both from Doug and both the Jimmy Clewes deep V. These are still my goto gouges. I recently purchased a D-Way gouge and am impressed with its quality. I agree with a scraper or two for boxes AND bowls. I routinely use both a square (actually slightly rounded) and a rounded scraper.

One thing that Jimmy Clewes teaches in bowl turning is to use both a V gouge (1/2") sharpened with a fingernail grind and one sharpened with a conventional grind (3/8") often called a bottom feeder. They cut differently and the conventional grind will work much better in the transition area between the sides and bottom and along the bottom while the fingernail grind is superior on the sides and on the outside.

For spindle work I would look at BOTH a standard 3/8 spindle gouge and a 3/8 detail gouge. Again, slightly different grinds and they are used a bit differently. My detail gouge is a P&N and I find it holds a good edge. While I have a few of Doug's spindle gouges, I find I use my Sorby's more, and even the Packard gouges are quite good.
    Thanks Thom. I was wondering about the Clewes deep V. I don't know enough to know whether I'd prefer that over the standard V so I was just going to go with standard. Would you mind describing the advantage of the deep?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Marshall View Post
    +1 on the Thompson 3/8 V gouge. I have several Thompson gouges but the 3/8" is my go to tool unless I'm doing some heavy roughing and then I go to my 1/2.
    If you talk to Doug, ask him about the travel set, it comes with a handle and four 3/8" tools (bowl gouge, spindle gouge, skew, etc) that store inside the handle. Makes a great starter set.
    Ooo, considering I'll be getting a 3/8 spindle and bowl, and possibly detail, the travel set makes some sense! Might have to think about that, though I'm set with a skew and was going to make my own handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Ooo, considering I'll be getting a 3/8 spindle and bowl, and possibly detail, the travel set makes some sense! Might have to think about that, though I'm set with a skew and was going to make my own handles.
    There may be other options if you don't need a skew, maybe a detail gouge or a scraper or just a tool blank to grind your own, I'm sure Doug will let you know what the options are. I believe the handle is 12" but might be 14", which works great for me, especially on the smaller turnings.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

For bowls, you do want 2 gouges. Any of the V and U gouges with a 40 to 45 degree bevel work great on the outside. and on the inside till you get to the transition and for going across the bottom (more so for deep bowls and less so for shallow bowls). I prefer the finger nail grind, but the swept back grinds work well also. Through the transition and across the bottom is where you need the specialized 'bottom feeder' type with a 60 degree bevel and little sweep. Also, you want more of a C flute rather than V. Here is also where I love Doug's fluteless gouges. I also love scrapers for roughing and for the clean up shear cuts inside and outside to remove the ripples when your gouges are not working properly. A 1 inch wide by 3/8 thick will take care of anything I can throw at it. Round nose for general use, or swept back for inside work. Smaller ones are more of a specialized tool for boxes to me. I like the bigger tools as they fit my hands better, and are more stable for roughing cuts. 1/2 inch is medium and 3/8 feels too delicate for my tastes. Unless I am doing detail work, which is seldom.

robo hippy

I also turn on a midi-lathe, and I use my 1/2" far, far more than my 3/8".

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    For bowls, you do want 2 gouges. Any of the V and U gouges with a 40 to 45 degree bevel work great on the outside. and on the inside till you get to the transition and for going across the bottom (more so for deep bowls and less so for shallow bowls). I prefer the finger nail grind, but the swept back grinds work well also. Through the transition and across the bottom is where you need the specialized 'bottom feeder' type with a 60 degree bevel and little sweep. Also, you want more of a C flute rather than V. Here is also where I love Doug's fluteless gouges. I also love scrapers for roughing and for the clean up shear cuts inside and outside to remove the ripples when your gouges are not working properly. A 1 inch wide by 3/8 thick will take care of anything I can throw at it. Round nose for general use, or swept back for inside work. Smaller ones are more of a specialized tool for boxes to me. I like the bigger tools as they fit my hands better, and are more stable for roughing cuts. 1/2 inch is medium and 3/8 feels too delicate for my tastes. Unless I am doing detail work, which is seldom.

robo hippy
    Thanks Reed. Let's say one was going to get both 1/2" and 3/8" bowl gouges. Would you make the larger or smaller one the bottom-feeder (and therefore a U)?
    Last edited by Victor Robinson; 01-18-2013 at 3:04 AM.