Thread: lyptus table

lyptus table

Here a easy table to make.My first time working with lyptus.I do like it.Doesnt make me sneeze.Has a fine grain like honduras mah.Not at all expensive.I would pick lyptus over african mah.The cons are it doesnt seem to be available in 12/4 or even 10/4 and the color can be kinda blah.so it needs some help with color.I built this one in five days four days finishing.The table will be out side so it has general 450 ext finish on it. Thanks for looking
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Andrew, I like the details. The rounded arch on the stretcher is nice as well as the clipped corners on the top. Looks great!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I second Jeff, very nice details and proportions. I have about 150 bdft of lyptus I got at auction but it's all 3/4 inch. Not sure what to do with it.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

"easy table". The hayrake ain't that easy. Nicely done. I'm envious of the time in which you did this.

I agree about lyptus. I was pleasantly surprised. It's like African mahogany without all the grain switch.

Thanks for the comments guys.I didn't think the hay rake parts were very challenging at all.You could mow thru the parts pretty quick Prashun.I did have a slight advantage with my new 77 small tenon saw from mike wenzloff,good coffee and fair weather .
    I added a couple photos in case someone hasn't heard of the hayrake stretcher .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did you find the material to be particularly hard, or difficult to handle?

I bought some Lyptus from Downes and Reader last year.
    This batch seems prone to splintering.

I did have one board seemed harder than the rest heavy too.Hand planes nice was not hard on my chisels.It did pinch the blade on my tenon saw more than i cared for,mostly due to no set.Watch out for splinters I kept my gloves handy.

That would be a good modern hunt board ,will be interesting to see how it does outside.I haven't used any Lyptus,but I've seen samples and read about it.Since it is a patented product from just one company,looks like every batch would have same properties. Jim,have compared what you have now to a different batch?

That's a nice,long table! Awesome work on the support!

I'm a hobbyist.

I've still got about 20 bf of the original 400 bf I purchased.
    I don't like this stuff, very much. It may be the next greatest thing;
    it produces a high yield in a short growth period.

I'm with Andrew, I found it prone to splintering.
    I'm a hack, so I glued back on lots of little pieces...

On the plus side, the face of the boards planes to a lovely finish.

On the negative, it doesn't tolerate my hamfisted methods well...