Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: CLTT..need some input

If I were attempting to use an iron to transfer an image I think I would use a thin piece of foam under it to help ensure more even heating over the area of the transfer. That would lengthen the press time but will give a better result.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Tried some wood , a lacquered oak plaque (with quite a grain structure) and results were pretty poor. Didnt matter what temp and dwell we used. Results on that "fake wood" type plaque (I think its a vinyl put over a cheap MDF base) were actually pretty good.
    I reckon the lacquer and grain structure or the real wood plaque were to blame , so in all likelyhood we won't be offering CLTT on wood...(not that it was important for me for it to succeed on wood , it was just an incidental substrate to try)
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Tried some wood , a lacquered oak plaque (with quite a grain structure) and results were pretty poor. Didnt matter what temp and dwell we used. Results on that "fake wood" type plaque (I think its a vinyl put over a cheap MDF base) were actually pretty good.
    I reckon the lacquer and grain structure or the real wood plaque were to blame , so in all likelyhood we won't be offering CLTT on wood...(not that it was important for me for it to succeed on wood , it was just an incidental substrate to try)

I have done this with Alder and it came out nicely. I had to position the image on the paper so the paper covered the whole piece. It seems that
    if I didn't do that I got and impression of the paper edge in the finish on the plaque. I guess that's why they recommend unfinished plaques.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Rodney

I am not impressed with the results on wood either.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi,

I also want to jump into CLTT, but I have some questions:
    - what is the smallest thickness of acrylic which can be heat pressed without wrapping?
    - can I put an image on both sides (on acrylic or metals)?
    - how can I make the image more brighter (printer does not have white toner)?
    - what kind of clear varnish do you apply for outdoor use?

Thank you
    Gabi
    SH-G570 80 W RECI
    Homemade CNC Router
    Emco CNC Lathe
    ArtCam 2009
    Rhinoceros V4.0
    All Vetric products
    SolidWorks 2012
    CorelDraw X5
    Many ideas and very limited time

Nobody has some answers to my questions???
    SH-G570 80 W RECI
    Homemade CNC Router
    Emco CNC Lathe
    ArtCam 2009
    Rhinoceros V4.0
    All Vetric products
    SolidWorks 2012
    CorelDraw X5

I would suggest you do some searching on the forum for CLT. There have been a number of threads related and you will find many answers there. Also check this web site as they have considerable information and videos. http://www.themagictouchusa.com/

You can transfer to acrylic as thin as guitar picks on both sides--it's in their video. You can transfer to both sides of metal as well.

The only way to make images brighter is to use a white substrate or a printer that can print white.

You can search the finishing forum or post a question there related to varnish for outdoors.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi to all,

Does anyone know what is the thickness of the silicone pad sold by Magic Touch? And also another source? They want too much money for that.

Thank you
    Gabi
    SH-G570 80 W RECI
    Homemade CNC Router
    Emco CNC Lathe
    ArtCam 2009
    Rhinoceros V4.0
    All Vetric products
    SolidWorks 2012
    CorelDraw X5

Quote Originally Posted by Balsanu Gabi View Post
    Hi to all,

Does anyone know what is the thickness of the silicone pad sold by Magic Touch? And also another source? They want too much money for that.

Thank you
    Gabi
    I don't have another source, but I had a silicone pad I used for dye sub and I kept having problems. Bought their pad (so I can go to them if I had problems and not have to hear "what pad are you using"), and things started working much, much better. The dye sub pad has texture to it, the MT pad is slick and smooth.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I use three different pads green textured pad, a "cream colored" silcone pad and a yellow felt pad. The silicone and felt pad I use for sublimation.
    Yup, rubber pads ain't cheap.....
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Gabi

For some MT things you can use a 1" thick green foam pad that you can get at the fabric store. When you use that you cut the time in half.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7