Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CLTT..need some input

Scott , are you sure the paper transfers a clear coat in its entirety to the substrate?
    From what I have read and the vids etc I have seen it seems that its only the toner that transfers.
    I could be wrong tho as I haven't done the process..if it is like that I would rethink getting into CLTT as I might as well just reverse print on clear vinyl and stick it on the substrate with a waterclear mounting film...
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I'm pretty sure. Some things you peel when cool, some when warm. If you peel something when it's warm that's supposed to peel when it's cool, you'll peel the clear off around the edges. That's what makes me say that. It could be something else happening, but that's my perception of it. Of course, I could be completely misunderstanding the entire process. If so, it's because some of the vendors don't do a great job and explaining any part of it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I'm really confused now. If the CLTT was transferring a "clear coat" or overlay over the whole image then you could not transfer foil to it like Rodne wanted to. Mike - can you clear this up? Is it bare toner that you are seeing on the metal or is there a selective or full-area coating on the graphic? Can you scrape it off with a knife? Martin suggests it will scratch off and can be removed with acetone . . . making me think it is bare. I have to agree the website leaves a lot to one's imagination.

I can't quite believe it is a full overlay though, as I did find a guy who recommended using CLTT for making circuit boards instead of using the PnP blue. Seems to me that if there was a film over the whole copper board he would not be doing too much etching . . .

Rodne - I agree that using an iron is a big part of the problem with the PnP Blue and similar. Non-uniform and unpredicable heating, no compliant pad or anything, just too many variables. But I suppose the DIY guys don't have the budget for a heat press. In all the discussions I have seen these methods work "some of the time". But I am looking for a process that works 99% of the time.

I'm not sure if Scott is confusing ink jet with laser toner. If you use toner just the toner will transfer.
    As Mike said it should be a complete transfer any thing less and its a reject. I high quality press IS ABSOLUTELY
    imperative for CLLT and dye sub, things have come along way from the tee shirt transfer of the 70's.

Scott, yes some items require a cool peel and others a warm peel, similar to vinyls. I think it has to do with the adhesion
    property of the substrate. If you peel while it's warm it may not have good adhesion on some substrates as you pull the release
    paper off. I do have to say before Magic Touch many that sold this type of transfer were no help. Magic touch has resolved any issues I had with their material.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

As an addendnum, my brother owns an industrial screen shop and uses old HP's to print the positive on mylar
    with. He says the old HP's are the best. He does use a product similar to this to build up the density,
    Hmmmmmm wonder why I haven't tried that on finished pieces?????

Rodny you may want to consider an old HP monochome and get a black toner cartridge and a black sublimation one, then switch them out as needed...

www.rayzist.com/magicdark.php
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Thanks once again for the great info , I'm releived to hear its just the toner that transfers.
    We do have a few B&W laser printers at work , Samsung and HP, will give em a bash.
    Does one set them to very dark when printing?
    IS the Colour printers black merely just black or is it a cmyk type black (using all 4 carts)
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I will try to describe the transfer as I see it. The CPM paper has a coating to which the toner is adhered. When pressed that coating comes off with the toner. On some substrates--plastic and metal, you can see fine striations on the image. I clean that with denatured alcohol then I post bake. With most hard surface materials I let the item cool before peeling. When using TTC you must peel the moment you remove the item from the press or it will stick and may not be removable.

In any case peeling should be done in a steady but careful and quick motion.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I will try to describe the transfer as I see it. The CPM paper has a coating to which the toner is adhered. When pressed that coating comes off with the toner.
    That's my view of it as well.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

As Mike said denatured alcohol cleans it up real quick & easy.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I will try to describe the transfer as I see it. The CPM paper has a coating to which the toner is adhered. When pressed that coating comes off with the toner. On some substrates--plastic and metal, you can see fine striations on the image. I clean that with denatured alcohol then I post bake. . . .
    So the toner is "coated" with the carrier film from the transfer paper . . . I wonder what material actually is. Magic Touch probably won't say. Are you fellows saying that the coating dissolves in alcohol leaving clean toner behind? This would be necessary if one wanted to do foiling - otherwise the film would act like a contaminant with unpredictable results.

If you bake it does Magic Touch tell you to clean the film off before baking? Or do they address this at all?

Seems like they have a useful product but need to be able to communicate technical specs a bit better.

For etching I assume it would not be necessary to remove the film on the toner.

Scott - Mike seems to be saying that only the film on the toner gets transferred, but you originally suggested that a whole sheet of film was being transferred to the part. You could probably tell by looking at a sheet of the backing material - if the toner pulled the carrier off, it would leave a witness shape on the carrier sheet. Are you on board with Mike?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rumancik View Post
    Scott - Mike seems to be saying that only the film on the toner gets transferred, but you originally suggested that a whole sheet of film was being transferred to the part. You could probably tell by looking at a sheet of the backing material - if the toner pulled the carrier off, it would leave a witness shape on the carrier sheet. Are you on board with Mike?
    Who knows? I do know that there certainly is a witness mark where the material was, on the paper. If it's just the toner transferring, I'm not sure I understand why you can't just do a small section. They tell you the paper MUST cover the entire object. If it was just the toner going over, then it wouldn't matter. You could print a 1" x 3" strip, put it on a 8" x 10" piece and be okay. But they tell you the paper MUST cover the entire object. Just from seeing the film peel back, I had always thought it was a clear film being put over. Also, couple that with the fact that if you have a spec of dirt on the paper, and you press it, you can't wipe that spec of dirt off. It's like it's trapped there for good.

Like I said, I could be completely wrong. I have no reason to think I'm right or wrong, I'm just reporting what I saw and what I thought based on that. Don't even remotely think that I know what I'm talking about. Mike is the only person I've ever spoken to that educated me and we've never discussed this part of it, so I'm just speculating based on my experiences.

Guys, I am not the expert I'm being credited with being. I'm just offering observations as I have made in considerable use. The carrier has a very thin film which is transferred with or without toner to the substrate during the pressing. It is visible, though barely, which is why I clean it off with dna. (we are talking only the CPM paper) I believe the striations are caused by heat as the paper rolls around the oil fuser. I can't be sure this occurs with more modern machines as I have never used them.

The toner is somewhat brittle once heated which is why you want to be sure if you are running color to the edge of the substrate you go slightly beyond it. It's possible that when you peel it the toner may crack at the edges.

Coincidentally, I will be running 4 CLT jobs today. 2 name tag orders, a medallion for a perpetual plaque where I'll use ORD on clear acrylic and two plaques where Ill use CPM on brushed gold metal.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

So when you clean it off with DNA, it's no longer there?
    Saw on the foil video posted earlier in the thread that they CLTT onto a T-shirt and used the toner as the "glue" for the foil..maybe it's a different paper
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTjeN...eature=related
    from about 18.30 onwards. The use a paper called "exactprint" tho.
    Here's a few sites re home made toner paper
    http://www.radagast.org/~dplatt/hamr...sfer_paper.pdf
    http://www.electro-tech-online.com/g...heap-easy.html

http://hackaday.com/2010/07/12/make-...ransfer-paper/
    Look at the comments
    At any rate , I will mail TMT and ask the question.
    EDIT
    I have just called Andre Beaudoin , the head honcho of TMT canada (the US guys werent there) and he says there should definitely NOT be any residue on the substrate or the toner itself , he says if there is temp or dwell is too high??? In fact he said he had an enquiry about foiling atop toner transferred just yesterday (one of the forum members perhaps?). He couldnt answer any question about how good it would be as a chemical or eltroetch resist tho..looks like I will have to try it and see...
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 01-21-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Rodney

This is not a similar process to the links you have. The dna removes only the transparent striations remaining on the substrate not the toner.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I assume the striations on the substrate are remmanents of the "coating" or some thin film transferred from the paper after heat pressing, so if DNA removes this from substrate , it "should" also remove it from the top of the toner????
    The sites for the home made toner paper were just for interest.