Thread: Jet 1442 questions

Jet 1442 questions

Just saw a jet 1442 for sale for $700. Wondering if this is a good price. Not sure if it comes with anything and don't know how old it is either. This will be my first lathe, been checking classifieds for quite a while now and this is the first descent lathe I've found near me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

That is half price of new. If it works halfway decent with no major rehab it seems like just the right price point. I bought my first lathe last year - a Delta midi for about that price without the extension, and would have bought a Jet 1442 for $700 had the opportunity been there. I have not used one but see only good comments here. I see great things here about 3 clases of lathes; a good midi like mine, the Jet 1442, and then the mega lathes.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

It's a reeves drive lathe, I'd pass.

Jason

Thanks Jason. I did not know that it was a Reeves Drive.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Is the reeves drive really that bad. And what makes it so undesirable, is it maintenance or just the fact that its so unreliable.

The minimum speed is 450 per spec. You have some problems with unbalanced wood starting out at that speed in larger sizes. Not an issue if you are doing spindles or well balanced material to start.
    Last edited by Thomas Canfield; 01-12-2013 at 8:05 PM. Reason: Change speed and added larger sizes.

I've been turning on my 1442 since 07 and I have turned A LOT. No problems at all. Now that low speed of 450 has gotten in the way a few times. She can dance around pretty good with a big out of balance piece.

Check the pulleys closely. The spilt pulley can come lose and rub into the mother. There is a set screw that must be kept tight.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

If I were going to spend $700 for a reeves drive lathe I surely would look at the Jet 1220 VS or the Delta 46-460.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I too have been turning on a 1442 for over 5 years and have turned bowls so big that they scrape the top of the ways when I first start turning. I have 6 bags of quickcrete on the lower shelf to help hold it down and that makes it pretty stable. I paid around $1200 brand new around 5 years ago. I had a chance to buy one for $800 used at the same time and waited too long and it got sold.
    I did have one of the pullys move on me when the set screw came lose but I tightened it and also replaced the belt and since then I've had no problems.
    There are some things I don't like about it but for the money and for what I do with it I've been pretty happy. For me turning is just a hobby.
    Here is a large black walnut bowl when I first was roughing it out. This one I used a faceplate and then had to trim it a bit with the chainsaw once it was on the lathe so that it would clear the lathe bed.DSCN1271.jpgDSCN1276.jpgblack walnut.jpg

Thanks for all the advice and opinions given so far. It sounds like some of y'all would stay away from the reeves drive and some enjoy the 1442, but it looks like to go better at that size I would have to spend atleast double. I would like to upgrade to something better but at that price and due to the fact this will be my first lathe I'm probably going to go ahead and make an offer. I still want to hear any opinions y'all have so keep em coming. Thanks

I have the delta midi, and the Jet 1442 (given to me). I like both. I had the delta first and swore I wouldn't have a lathe without evs. But when I got the Jet, I was pleasantly surprised. I have no issues with the drive, and the thing will spin a chunk of wood very nicely. I find myself roughing out on the jet and sanding and finishing on the delta often.

I think the 1442 is a good tool.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Just curious what a good offer would be for this lathe. They're asking $700 and does not come with any tools and they say the dad bought it several years ago before he passed.

50% of new is about all I would try to sell mine for and it is in fine condition.