Thread: Perhaps the nicest wood i have turned

Perhaps the nicest wood i have turned

This is a piece of Maple Burl that came from Mike Cruz last Easter. Several people in my family were involved with the hauling from Maryland to Pennsylvania to Illinois where I picked it up and brought back to Nebraska. Could be the most majestic wood that I have ever turned-my opinion of course.

The top was very uneven which made the coring very challenging, I got the first core out which was a little thin. Then the tennon broke off when I tried for the second and it sat for quite awhile. So month or so ago I gave it another go and this is the result. Perhaps could have got 4 without the tennon breaking. Gloss lacquer sanding sealer followed by satin lacquer-should it be more glossy? Largest bowl is about 10 3/4" x 4 3/4".

Finally got a photo tent made which hopefully shows off the nice wood better as well. Comments welcome especially about the gloss or lack thereof.

Maple Burl Bowls 004.jpgMaple Burl Bowls 009.jpgMaple Burl Bowls 007.jpg

Beautiful piece!

Sorry I got this posted twice, not sure how that happened. Don't know how to delete one either.

4. Mike certainly comes up with some good stuff! I have seen several of his pieces and his wood gathering is pretty significant.

Nice work on these, Steve.........they are very pretty....gotta love the natural edge and the burl grain!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mawson View Post
    Sorry I got this posted twice, not sure how that happened. Don't know how to delete one either.
    Beautiful set Steve! Awesome wood and it looks great with the natural edge. I like it with the satin finish.

I deleted the duplicate thread for you.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

That is drop dead gorgeous! I've been reading Kathy's posts with her new found coring magic, now yours as well...................I'm starting to get bad ideas for new tools !! Technique is another matter completely, and you've obviously got it mastered!
    Dick Mahany.

They look good to me. I like the finish, the natural edges of the burl are very striking, the wood itself is beautiful and with the three, the sizes are evenly spaced and look good together. No one would ever know you tried for four.
    Very nice work, maybe someday I'll be that good but I have a long way to go.
    Rodney

That is just a beautiful set Steve. Really well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

High Gloss on a natural edge piece is an oxymoron in my opinion. Still sucker for satin or matte finishes. Great job on some beautiful wood!
    mj

Guess I will leave finish as is and buff over the weekend.
    Thanks for the kind comments.

This is a beautiful set. I love everything about it.
    Nice!

Nice job of coring, those natural edge coring's are a pain in the rear seat.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Very, very nice indeed.
    C&C WELCOME

Wow, Steve, those turned out fantastic. I think you did a great job coring the blank, and certainly did the wood justice!

Funny how this was one of those pieces that I had up for sale a while back that nobody (okay, very few people) took me up on. I guess people just didn't see the beauty within...
    I drink, therefore I am.