Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zach Dillinger Is A Very Impressive Woodworker

Zach Dillinger Is A Very Impressive Woodworker

Anyone else see this: http://www.theeatoncountyjoinery.com...available.html

Made by our very own Zach Dillinger. Wow Zach! That's phenomenal! How/Where did you learn to do that? I am very much looking forward to the accompanying article. Congratulations sir!

Very Sincerely,

Chris

--------
    P.S. One question. Why on earth did you hide all the dovetails? Are you embarrassed by your dovetailing skills? .... (please do not dignify this with response)
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I thought this was a secret!! Maybe not now.

Egad. Something to aspire to.
    It's better to be a spectacular failure than an apologetic one...

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I thought this was a secret!! Maybe not now.
    It was a secret, until PW broke the image on their Twitter account... I guess that I'm free to post an image or two now, since they did it first!

Thanks Chris for showing this off (dovetails are evil and should never be exposed, except when you are trying to sell something!). How the heck did you find this page?

Thanks to Scott for the compliment.

Please forgive the grandiose wording on that page.. you know what its like to try to sell something.

I'm self-taught, unfortunately, but I'm very much influenced by the works of our own Adam Cherubini and George Wilson. Also by long dead masters such as Benjamin Gostlowe, Benjamin Randolph and the Goddard-Townsends.

The pics are pretty, but the article will be even better, I hope. Focusing more on why things are done the way they are, instead of just "cut this, then glue, then finish' pieces" we see a lot of in certain other magazines. I'll be posting more and more in the weeks building up to the release of the article.
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 01-10-2013 at 1:47 PM.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Wow! That is truly awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    It was a secret, until PW broke the image on their Twitter account... I guess that I'm free to post an image or two now, since they did it first!

Thanks Chris for showing this off (dovetails are evil and should never be exposed, except when you are trying to sell something!). How the heck did you find this page?

Thanks to Scott for the compliment.

Please forgive the grandiose wording on that page.. you know what its like to try to sell something.

I'm self-taught, unfortunately, but I'm very much influenced by the works of our own Adam Cherubini and George Wilson. Also by long dead masters such as Benjamin Gostlowe, Benjamin Randolph and the Goddard-Townsends.

The pics are pretty, but the article will be even better, I hope. Focusing more on why things are done the way they are, instead of just "cut this, then glue, then finish' pieces" we see a lot of in certain other magazines. I'll be posting more and more in the weeks building up to the release of the article.
    Someones got to show that kind of stuff off here, as reminder that we're not all just a bunch of posers. And to remind the rest of us that there is more to aspire to then just the sharpest edge, best plane collection, planing the toughest wood, cutting the best dovetails, etc... the list goes on (those I'm guilty of all those things)

I've seen your blog before, but never your website. You mentioned it in the Wenzloff Saw thread earlier today (saying that there was a pic of the halfback saw on your homepage). I noticed that you mentioned a different site name then on your blog so I got curious and googled "the eaton county joinery"

I think the most inspiring part is that you are self taught. Most of us are, and its good to be reminded what mere mortals are capable of if they take the time to do their homework, execute every little step to there best ability, and most of all find the guts to take on something like that.

I've never made anything nearly that nice, but today, I'm closer to believing that someday I will.

Adam and George are phenomenal influences - both have definitely had an influence on me as well.

Fantastic work!
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 01-10-2013 at 2:00 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Thanks Chris I'm not really the type to show off (unless you believe my wife) but I hope that others will get something out of it.

I'm just a mortal hack who happens to get it right every now and then. I work hard, make mistakes (I don't show those), and try the best I can. It sometimes pays off.

And this, honestly, isn't that difficult of a piece! I hope to make that clear in the mag. If you can saw a line, you can build this piece. The veneer is optional, the original was just plain mahogany.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

. . . Focusing more on why things are done the way they are, instead of just "cut this, then glue, then finish' pieces" we see a lot of in certain other magazines. . . . .
    Terrific. I was just reading an article and wishing there was more why and less step-by stuff.

Beautiful piece, by the way.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Dude...that is awesome. And now I hate you.

If you can saw a line, you can build this piece.
    Looks like I'm SOL!

In all seriousness, I knew you wouldn't post it, but I like seeing project posts here, which is why I took it upon myself to post it. The best part will be if someone who really really knows what they are doing (like George or Adam) are able to suggest ways to make it even better. The kinds of things most of wouldn't notice but that everyone learns a ton from when they get pointed out. Like how George got a lot of us to start paying attention to the transitions to the round overs in saw handles - it makes a huge visual difference, but its something that would be overlooked if you didn't know how big of a difference that detail can make.

Anyway, looks great! The base is the part that looks the most intimidating for me - the upper case while challenging is something I could probably do a decent job on at my current skill level (though at a very slow pace). To do the base I'd need to learn to turn, and I don't imagine that getting all those legs turned so nicely, especially on a spring pole lathe is an easy task.

Anyway, I'm sure you see lots of flaws when you look at it (that's just the way it is), but its a lovely piece, both in selection and execution. I'm sure the article will be great; your description sounds like what I'd like to see more of in the mags. I am very glad that last month I decided to by myself a Digital PWW subscription.

Keep up the good work. Hopefully this is just the first of many great projects you can get into a mag.

Very nice. I look forward to the article.
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

Beautiful piece.
    Really looking forward to the article!
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

Thanks Chris for your post!

And many congrats, Zach. Awesome work! There are some talents out there, incredible... Very very fine craftsmanship for sure, classy woodchoice and exquisite execution.

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

$4K - including shipping? Wow, I don't think you are charging nearly enough. Seriously. Stunning work.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Dude...that is awesome. And now I hate you.
    Naw, don't hate me. I just got lucky this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post

Keep up the good work. Hopefully this is just the first of many great projects you can get into a mag.
    That is my hope as well! I really enjoy writing!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones View Post
    Very nice. I look forward to the article.

Quote Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
    Beautiful piece.
    Really looking forward to the article!
    Thanks! Keep an eye on the stand, or your mailbox, for the August 2013 issue... I hope it lives up to expectations!

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Kretschmar View Post
    Thanks Chris for your post!

And many congrats, Zach. Awesome work! There are some talents out there, incredible... Very very fine craftsmanship for sure, classy woodchoice and exquisite execution.

Klaus
    Kind words, from a gentleman craftsman such as yourself. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    $4K - including shipping? Wow, I don't think you are charging nearly enough. Seriously. Stunning work.
    Well, I guess we will see... it hasn't sold yet! And I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't... I love this darn thing!