Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub Panel mfg. recommendation

Sub Panel mfg. recommendation

I am having a 100 amp sub panel installed in the garage of my new house. Is one Mfg. better than another? I assume some, but which mfg. should I have installed? So far the new panel will have three 240v and six 120v circuits. Any recommendation is appreciated since I have -0- expertise in this area.

If I were you, would ask your electrician for their recommendation. What panel is in the house? Around here, they all say square D. And not the home line. I bought a 100 amp panel at Lowe's and put it in my shop. They are pretty reasonable.

Match whatever is in your house, that way you only need one type of spare breaker kicking around.

Everyone likes Square D. When I installed mine, I installed a GE panel because I happen to have a GE panel already and wanted to have all the breakers the same. In retrospect, it's like having a car you don't really like, but buying a second care exactly like it so all the spare parts match. Wish I had installed a Square D panel.

Another vote for SquareD QO panel. Good solid setup.

One additional thought: you want to use all the same breakers. So go with a brand where it is convenient for you to obtain the breakers (for future). If your house is a main brand (GE, square D), perfect, and as noted you can swap a breaker back and forthif needed.

If your electrician uses a certain brand, sometimes they have extras laying around so this can be good.

(I used am Eaton, and have found fewer places where I can get the eaton breakers)

My electrician friends all adamantly recommended I go with the Square D QO as well. NOT the Square D Homeline, which is the cheaper option usually sold right next to the QO. I'm honestly not sure why they said that, so...

Just guessing that it has become an industry standard, is a proven performer and easily sourced. BTW, I just picked up a 100 amp QO panel to use as a sub last week at Menards, for $36. Had to do a double take on that one.

My main panel was SquareD Homeline and the breakers for it were plentiful at the local BORG so I got the same for my sub panel. Otherwise I would have got SquareD QO as it is also readily available and a better product. The only other brand with a large selection at my BORG was Siemens which would have been fine if the choice hadn't already been made for me.

Whatever the brand, make sure it is big enough to use full sized breakers for all of your new circuits with plenty of room left for additions in the future.

Square D QO.

Lornie

In case no one has suggested it, Square D QO. Look up "multi-wire branch circuits, before planning wiring. Two 110's and a 220 at each location.

Cutler Hammer CH

My shop has it's own meter, so not a sub panel, but that makes no difference. Square D QO all the way. Wish my house box was the same.
    For those that recommend using the same box as in the house, how many times have you had to swap out breakers???? I've owned my own house(s) for over 30 years and never had a breaker go bad. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Siegrist View Post
    Cutler Hammer CH
    The CH "Classic" loadcenter is the best built panel on the market, copper bus & steel, not plastic interior, SQ D cheaped out years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Match whatever is in your house, that way you only need one type of spare breaker kicking around.
    This would be my recommendation as well. Multiple manufacturers all make quality panels that meet or exceed NEC standards, including Cuttler Hammer, Siemens, Square D, etc.

I've been debating the "match your house panel" thoughts... I just don't see it. How many people really keep spare breakers lying around? And I'd have to keep a collection of at least one 15A, 20A, 30A, 50A, 60A, & 100A breaker around to have spares to cover everything - and 110V and 220V versions of the 20A. It's not like fuses, where you have to keep them on hand in case you blow one. If one trips, you just go and reset it - not replace it. Am I missing something?