Thread: Better Way To Hinge This Blind Cabinet Door?

Better Way To Hinge This Blind Cabinet Door?

DSCF0227.jpg

Our contractor has installed these hinges on a blind cabinet door. They protrude into the narrow
    shelf area. Seems like he should have hinged the door on the left side instead of the right. However, assuming that he will resist this suggestion, is there a different hinge design that doesn't extend back into the storage area?

Thanks!

Check out Blum's Compact 33 hinge. With the correct mounting plate you can get the overlay down to 1/4". Or check out Blum's 38N series. Minimum overlay is 3/8".

Blum 79T9990B37

The Compact 33 looks good. I found this installation video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUni5D-ndhk

Typically a 170 degree open hinge would be used in this case. It mounts flat to the inside of the blind panel.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...=3,41241,55420

Why not take the door off and spin it 180 deg to the hinges are on the left and re-attach ? Why would he resist. He's your contractor, he does what you say because you pay him to do so.
    Last edited by Keith Christopher; 01-10-2013 at 8:10 AM.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Probably because the door handle is already drilled.

No, the door handle holes are yet to be drilled. Yes, he's my contractor, but I stupidly lost most of my leverage by not retaining payment.

Another problem is that the cabinet door next to the hood swings more than 90 degrees and will hit the hood and become damaged. Is there a recommendation for a hinge that will only open 90 degrees? Several other cabinet doors have this same problem. All the cabinet doors are supposed to have soft closing, but I just noticed that he omitted this from most of them. Some of the pantry cabinet doors are longer than 5'. Do they need more than one Blumation hinge?

If there are 2 hinges normally I only use one of the Blumotions. If there are 3 hinges (ie: bigger door) then I use 2 of them. Blum has a restrictor attachment that gets inserted inside the hinge to limit it to about 86 degrees, it can't be removed easily.

The compact hinge would work with your door but the Euro hinges will keep the door close to the cabinet while the compact hinges will have about a 3/16" space between the door and the cabinet, just so you know. It may screw up the look.

Sounds like changing the swing would be the way to go, if the compact hinge moves the door away from the cabinet.

Thanks

Blum makes a 45deg. hinge for that application...

"Clip Top Angled hinges

Angled hinges provide a tremendous array of possibilities for the cabinet designer. Specifically designed for frameless cabinets, the CLIP top angled hinge series accommodates cabinet front angles of minus 45 degree to plus 45 degree"