Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home planer

Home planer

I need to buy a new planer for home use. I can spend around $500. Are there any suggestions, I plane up to 12" wide and a wide variety of domestic and imported hardwoods.

Dewalt DW735. Hands down the best without getting an iron monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Dewalt DW735. Hands down the best without getting an iron monster.
    Why not an Iron Monster? There are many bargains on used 15" import planers, depending on your location. I found a Powermatic Model 15 for $454.

I doubt the table-top DeWalt will last long planing 12" widths. But, a well adjusted cast iron 15" will gobble up wide widths. Look for Delta, Grizzy, Jet, Powermatic, or Shop Fox 15" planers. Just my .02....
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

If you have the space and plane very much wood at all, a 15" stationary planer is much more useful than any lunchbox style machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Newton View Post
    I need to buy a new planer for home use. I can spend around $500. Are there any suggestions, I plane up to 12" wide and a wide variety of domestic and imported hardwoods.
    One problem is i work in basement and moving a heavy machine down the stairs is a problem.

I like my Dewalt D734. It is a great reliable work horse. I do plane 12" wide boards. I do some production work with it, I use if for a half hour then give it 15 min cool down time. I could't afford the larger more expensive machine.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

One problem is i work in basement and moving a heavy machine down the stairs is a problem.
    Based on experience, moving heavy equipment downstairs is a LOT easier than moving it upstairs

A 15" with the motor pulled, extra tables etc. off shouldn't be too bad going down a standard set of stairs. Gravity helps.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

Depends on your use. In my home shop, I finally sold my Jet 15" and replaced it with a DeWalt 735. For me it was a good move. I don't have a need to hog off a lot of rough lumber, most of my use is dimensioning reasonably small furniture size pieces. For you.....?

I have had three lunch box planers, and the 735 is the best in my experience.

Rick Potter
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 01-07-2013 at 3:20 PM.

Not very sexy or a status symbol but my little Delta 12 1/2" planer has performed perfectly on a variety of the hardest woods for something like 10 years now. The only service needed was new cutter blades about a year ago.

Blog Entries
    It doesn't really matter which lunchbox you get, there have been Dewalts on sale at my HD for under $400 recently.
    I have an old PM 100 that I refurbished. Is 10X the planer of ANY lunchbox. and will outlast 10 of them after being used since early 60's. Yep 400 or so pounds isn't light, but the move is only one time.

Having gone from a Delta 12 1/2 to a heavier cast iron beast, think I would skip the lunchbox, unless you need to move your shop a lot. If you rent, and you will be moving, the heavy cast iron planer would be a pain, but I have taken some heavy things down into the basement on an appliance dolly. Hope you have some good strong friends to get it out though.

Robert,

Sent you a PM
    Epilog 45 watt, Graphtec cutter-plotter, Corel Graphics Suite X3 - X4, HP and Vaio computers, woodshop.

"Trust, but Verify"

Yep, old CI would be my choice; you get so much more for your money. I found a 12 inch Foley Belsaw planer/moulder with a 5HP motor for $250. And while no planer is quiet, one with an induction motor is far less annoying than those universal motors on a lunch box one. My basement workshop has several 300 - 400 lb beasts down there. Wasn't that hard to get them down there - and I don't plan to move.

John

A lunchbox is ok, but VERY noisy due to universal motor and chip blower.

If you get an 'iron monster' you will need a dust collector.

-Brian

I have a basement workshop and what I did to move my jet 13 inch Planer Molder , the one with the enclosed cabinet, down into the basement was to leave in the box, and set 2x12's down the length of the concrete stairway through the bilco doors. I strapped log chains around the shipping crate the planer was in and tied the other end of the chains to the garden tractor. I then slowly backed the tractor up to the edge of the steps and slid the crate down the boards.

Worked for the Planer, Jointer, table saw, drill press and Wood lathes.