Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Electrical Engineers out there? Cheap, legal induced squeal in speakers?

Any Electrical Engineers out there? Cheap, legal induced squeal in speakers?

Any electrical engineers out there? Is there a legal, cheap way to induce squeal or loud tone in speakers about about 10 feet away?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I can't imagine there would be any way to do this wirelessly, especially not loud. Loudspeakers are actually quite inefficient transducers. Even if they could pickup something via the ether, it just wouldn't have enough energy to move the cones much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    Any electrical engineers out there? Is there a legal, cheap way to induce squeal or loud tone in speakers about about 10 feet away?
    I'm assuming you're talking about some wireless method. It takes a good deal of energy to move the cones so no, there isn't a way. The feedback hum caused by cellphones is because the noise is picked up on the amplifier's -inputs- (which gets amplified to the speakers).

Some more details would be helpful. If you're trying to block a cell phone there are (illegal) ways...

how can one cell phone signal be block without blocking other cell phones of the same make

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    how can one cell phone signal be block without blocking other cell phones of the same make
    There isn't an easy way. Sorry, I see that my use of "a cell phone" instead of "cell phones within range" could cause confusion.

If I am not mistaken don't theaters block cell phones from transmitting or receiving?
    David B

What, exactly, are you trying to do?

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    If I am not mistaken don't theaters block cell phones from transmitting or receiving?
    No, cell phone blockers are illegal in the US. Theaters ask people to turn their cell phones off.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I hear bass (only) from a FM radio stereo bleeding through a wall- makes it extremely difficult to concentrate. If I could hear the rest of the music, it wouldn't be so bad. But the bass is particularly annoying because it's not a constant noise to just mentally tune out, and but it's not enough of the music to be pleasurable. If there's not a legal way to induce noise in the speakers, I may have to figure out some other way of dealing with it. Wouldn't want the FCC crawling down my neck would I? Isn't there something I could do from only 10 feet away that isn't illegal?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Do you know the source of this bass music? I'm guessing we aren't talking about some kid driving down the street thumping his audio system. Just seems weird, but then I bet we only know part of what is going on. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I use to live next door to a ham radio operator. He came over my stereo speakers,telephone & the speakers on the tv. The stereo or TV didn't have to be on for it to happen. After I complained numerous times he finally fixed it some how...

from what I know it would be hard to induce enough signal strength at the input of the speakers due to the low impedance to make it work. a better way is to induce or inject a signal into the amplifier. how this could be done easily i don't know.

13. Had a neighbor like that with the bass about 15 years ago. I just set up a dipole antenna in the apartment so maximum signal strength was directed at there apartment. I then turned on the talk back on my cb, turned up the speaker volume and held the mic next to it to make it squeal. About 10 seconds of that and there was piece and quiet again!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Not legally. The discussion continues . . . Oops, I missed that Mike had already answered ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    I hear bass (only) from a FM radio stereo bleeding through a wall- makes it extremely difficult to concentrate
    Uh, go next door and tell them that the music is great but, could they please roll the bass off a bit as it is disturbing you? I'll assume since you are looking for a passive-aggressive solution you have talked to the offender and he told you to go pound sand. Dealing with neighbors is always a bit sticky because we don't need enemies that close over a long period of time; like when you're at work and can't see what they're up to If it is coming through the wall, you are living in a common structure and I would think they could be reasoned with. The other alternative is to find out if they hate country music and then BLAST some good-ole-boy stuff long and hard . . . OK, forget that last part.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-05-2013 at 10:19 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler