Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool handles - which 3rd party handle?

John, one could likely add a conventional ferrule to a Hosaluk adapter. This would strengthen the setup and still allow for tool removal. That said, I'm very happy with the OneWay ThreadLok adapters I've used on a few handles.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

I have several Kelton ER collet chuck handles. The ER25 collet chuck handle is great for my Thompson gouges. I like the fact that I can retract the gouge into the handle to what ever depth I need and no set screws are needed. It's also quite versatile as collets are reasonably inexpensive and I can accomodate different gouges easily. The handle can be loaded with lead shot or BBs to help dampen vibration, but it can get a little on the heavy side. I also use a smaller ER16 collet chuck Kelton handle on smaller diameter gouges and like it very much, although it is limited to 7/16 dia and I bought a custom collet so that I could use my 7/16 Thompson gouge (although the 7/16 special will only allow 1.10" of gouge shaft engagement which hasn't been a problem). The smaller ER16 handle can also screw into the end of the larger ER25 handle if I ever need the extra leverage, but I haven't come close to needing that, yet.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-03-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

I haven't seen the S B Handles mentioned

I've had some of these since the first prototypes came out at the AAW Symposium in St.Paul.

I've been extremely pleased with them. They're made from carbon fiber, six lobed, and with the iron taper lock bolster, to absorb the vibration, they really are a joy to use. The handles are hollow if you want to add ballast, honestly, I haven't found the need for it

The blades screw into the handles, which takes a few seconds, so changing tools is very quick and sharpening is made easy with no handle in the way.

Various sized ferrules are available for different diameter tools and the handles come in a wide range of lengths to suit the job at hand. They range from 6" to 48" in this sequence..... 48", 42", 36", 30",24, 20", 16", 12', 9", and 6". Unfortunately. I don't have the full range, but I'm working towards it. I really want the shorter ones for up close spindle work.

Pat Scott has done a much better review than I have and it can be seen here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...er-Lock-Handle

They are available from Woodworkers Emporium and Craft Supplies USA

In doing my google searches I also came up with an insert sold by hunter tools which is designed to be inserted into a section of PVC pipe. You can then make a handle of whatever length you desire. Another site had a PDF describing how to use the Hosulak insert to make a covered aluminum handle. Out of an abundance of curiosity I ordered both and will fabricate handles to see which (if either) I like.

I saw the pvc pipe handles at a symposium and the demonstrator liked them mostly because they protected the blades for transport. I suspect they might need ballast more than most, though I do not like a heavy handle.

The handle made using the Hosulak adapter looks very interesting as I can make it a bit long and shorten it as desired. Joe Johnson, author of the PDF, uses a capsule made of brass tubing filled with shot and held in place with O-rings to weight the handle. The aluminum tube is covered with PVC tubing.

It seems that what I see available are mostly aimed at 5/8" or 1/2" gouges. 16 - 20" lengths with 12" being available for 3/8" gouges and starting to see 7-8" lengths for 3/8 and 1/4" gouges. Newer configurations like the SB are modular which is a big plus, though I really am not sure about having to epoxy the bolster and adapter. I guess that is the price for the slimmer end. The collet format can get bulky in appearance, and I do not know whether the knobs used to tighten/loosen screws (instead of set screws) would get in the way of different cutting styles.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I don't see any reference to a quick release knob on the D-Way site, can anyone say more about this? Thanks.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Dan, you can get some info from the video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLnNk...ature=youtu.be

Not sure on the price, but I will see what I can find out.

SB Tool handles

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Time to dive into the collective...

I have made several wooden tool handles and have generally been pleased with them, though I admit a few ideas did not work too well. However, I am coming to the opinion that being able to remove the steel from the handle to sharpen it may yield better results. It would also let my tool storage be more efficient if I rack blades and handles separately.

So I have been trying to research handles.

I own a Thompson 16" x 5/8" handle that will work for all my 5/8" gouges (though I may leave my Ellsworth in its longer handle), I also own a 20" long foam covered 3/4" handle that holds my boring bars if i want to use them freehand.

I know about the D-Way, Oneway, SB, Serious, and Michelsen handles though I have not used any of them. I also have seen various insert and ferrules that allow blade removal including a kit that works with PVC pipe though I am NOT leaning in that direction.

What I would like to know is which ones work well (probably all), any I've missed (with links?), any known issues, and if any problems have been noticed with the use of quick change knobs. Also comments on handle length vs blade diameter for both bowl and spindle gouges though I may not change my spindle gouges at this time since the handles are generally short enough to not be in the way when sharpening.
    I have been using the SB Tools carbon fiber tool handles and they are great. Very light and changing out blades is very simple with the taper lock bolster.

I have my Thompsons in Trent Bosch handles and find them very comfortable to use for long stretches of time. I will buy more as they are needed.

While I have never used one, the D-Way handles look to be very similar in basic design, albeit with all the handles being the same color (Bosch handles come in different colors depending on length) and it looks like the D-Ways are a little shinier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    I don't see any reference to a quick release knob on the D-Way site, can anyone say more about this? Thanks.

Dan
    Dan, Dave informs me that they will be on the website next week, he hopes, and the cost is $12.00. They have a hardened bolt so they won’t swell up on the end and ruin the threads in your handle, and they are 5/16” by 18 TPI

Kell McNaughton makes a great handle (Kelton ER25), it's made from stainless steel and covered in dense foam for grip, but instead of using those stupid Allen key screws to hold the blade/gouge it uses industrial collets (metal of course), all you have to do to change blades is slacken a knurled collar/sleeve remove one blade insert new blade and retighten collar/sleeve (only hand tight and the blade is locked solid!!!), also at the rear/back of the handle is a hidden compartment in which you can put lead shot or steel bb's,
    these are some FINE woodturning handles (best I have seen ever!!!)
    do a google search for "Kell McNaughton" or "Kelton" and you will end up at his website, he's the same guy who makes the "Kelton centre saving system" that's become very popular with many turners,
    His products are very well engineered and made to a high standard, I was so impressed I had to have one (and I'am going to get a second one in the very near future!!!)
    Check'em out!!!

I went to Dave Pebble's site and he says he hopes to be back to work soon. Dave makes a pretty nice handle for a very good price.
    Last edited by Harry Robinette; 01-05-2013 at 5:28 PM.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Blog Entries
    another handle not listed is the Bennett handle.... I have 3 and love them, much more so than my Thompson although I will never part with it.

I notice that Dave (D-Way) now has his quick release knobs available on the website - http://www.d-waytools.com/tools-handles.html

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Greg.....what you are getting is a finely machined stainless steel unit that has a finely machined SS collet and camlock collar...........the unit is VERY nice! M​ine was the regular price and I am happy I got it!

Were can you buy the collets for the them

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Schaffner View Post
    Were can you buy the collets for the them
    The only similar item I know if is made by Thompson for the Jimmy Clewes line. Jimmy sells the collet separate, but you need to call him, he does not have a web store up and running yet.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).