Thread: Finishing an existing wood ceiling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Finishing an existing wood ceiling

Hello everyone, I am having an issue with matching a ceiling. I had to replace some of the boards in my ceiling. It is 2x6 tongue and groove. Some type of pine?? I am located approx. 30 miles East of Sacramento. The house was built in the early 70's. The boards probably came from one of the mills that used to be around here. Attached are some pictures of the project. The first 2 show the current ceiling. The next 3 show some of the original ceiling boards. You can see a brown line where the original boards were covered by a beam. My initial attempts were stains that either obscured the knots or were a negative of the existing ceiling. Any thoughts on how to get a close match? Stain, dye, tint? I am open to any and all suggestions. thanks
    .DSCN1296.jpgDSCN1294.jpgDSCN1300.jpgDSCN1299.jpgDSCN1298.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Paavola; 01-01-2013 at 2:16 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Fruitwood?

The old wood is oxidized from years of exposure to heat and moisture. Your best bet would be to try and oxidize the new wood somewhat to match. I don't think a stain or dye will do the job for long. Here is a link to a site I found that discusses an oxidizing technique. http://www.xrestore.com/pages/aging.htm

I'm working on a similar project, we added a 12' long section on to a room with a T&G ceiling.
    In this case we had our local Sherwin Williams match up the stain by dropping off a piece of the original wood and a new piece to test on.
    The matched color took into account the aging of the original piece, pretty well.
    We got a suitable color match after a couple of coats of stain and a litttle blending here and there, and will be adding layer of new finish over the entire ceiling as soon as some other dusty work is finished.

HTH
    Jeff

I like the idea of possibly oxidizing the newer ceiling. I have tried to have various stains made but none of them were even close. I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to what was possibly used to stain the ceiling originally? The house was built in the early 70's.