Thread: Help With Drawing

Help With Drawing

First, I am still learning Corel, only using it for about a month now. Still learning lots with the laser also, same time period. I have several questions. 1. Attached (hopefully is a file of a logo. There are 3 images in the file, The bottom one is a scanned image of the original. The upper left is a tracing of the image that was done in sketchup, converted to a dxf file, and cut on a plasma cutter. Amazingly it worked well for a first attempt at doing this sort of thing. Next the same file was sent to corel as an eps file, the lines were changed to hairline and cut on my laser. Another surprising thing happened. It worked. Next the lines were changed to another size and it engraved properly. WOW 3 for 3 so far. My problem comes when I try to color fill (upper right). I know things aren't filling properly because I have open spots in some of the curves but I don't know how to fix them. What I would like to do is to make the outer border hairline so it will cut, and fill with black and some grey so it will engrave. I have tried several things in Corel to make this work with no luck, the Bezier tool, the contour tool (no idea how that works or the concept behind it), and a few other things. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. 2. Also (I haven't figured out how to make paragraphs here yet) I have now read back about 206 pages of post here. I ran across a post where there were several folders of memorial art posted. These may be very helpful to me, I would like to thank the poster, however I can't open any of them. Any ideas why? 3. Next I ran into a file of a very impressive inlayed chess table. The inlays in the corners look useful for a table I am doing but again I am having the same trouble as listed in problem #1. 4. Finally, I realize many of you like to see the equipment listed someone has so you know better how to help. How do you attach this info. Hope this isn't too many questions in one post. Thanks, John
    Attached Files Attached Files

To add your signature, click on "Settings" which you will find at the top right of the page. Then click on "Edit Signature" which you will find on the left side.

I don't know about other people but I find it difficult to read such a large block of text. Breaking it up will make it so much easier to digest. All I do to make paragraphs is hit "Enter" twice. Does this not work for you?

If it doesn't, click on "General Settings" which is below "Edit Signature", scroll down towards the bottom and select "Enhanced Interface".
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

sorry your file is not getting opened

rgds
    Epilog Legend 24 EX - 75W with Rotary
    Fiber laser Marker 20w ( IPG)
    Flat bed heat press, Mug printing, Epson 230 x 2
    Flame Polishing machine, Acrylic Bender, Nicejet Flatbed printer A3+, Electrochemical etcher.
    "If you think you can or you cannot - you're right" HENRY FORD

Changed settings. Added to signature Hope it works. Still can't get paragraphs to work. Settings is at enhanced. Also tried enter twice.
    Last edited by john swank; 12-30-2012 at 11:53 PM.
    Epilog Helix 40 Watt, Very well equipped woodshop

I have the Corel X6 suite, under "Save As" I don't have an option of saving in earlier formats.

John......when you do the "Save As"......look down to the bottom right of the dialog box and you should see Version 16.....click on it and save it to version 12 and most people should be able to open it.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Here it is in version 12. Thanks for pointing that out to me. Now if I could only get the paragraphs to work.

see if it is ok
    Flame Polishing machine, Acrylic Bender, Nicejet Flatbed printer A3+, Electrochemical etcher.

That looks a lot better, thanks. How did you get it to clean up so well? I removed the fill colors, will add them back later, and tried to set the outer lines to hairline (shown in red). Many of the inner lines changed also. I ungrouped all before doing this. How is it that lines that do not seem to be connected are acting in this way? I need to cut out the outer outline and a few of the inner areas. I also noticed that the file size is greatly reduced. How did this happen? Just from cleaning up the original lines? Again thanks.
    Last edited by john swank; 12-31-2012 at 7:03 AM.

John

The drawing is in cymk, you should change it to rgb.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks, getting closer but I still have no idea how it is being done. 1. How do I change from cymk to rgb? I thought my Corel was set to work in rgb. 2. Only a couple of spots to go. I cleared the fill that I could and set lines at hairline (red) and 1 pt (black) to assign the areas that need cut and those that need engraved. The areas in the attached file that are still filled I can't seem to work with. How do I fix this? Is this file rgb? thanks

Here it is saved in version 12

Here's my attempt at a clean vector that you can use. The colors are approximate and can be easily changed or removed. It's saved to version 12.

Eagle.png
    MC Eagle Head help Clean Vector v12.cdr
    Laser: Trotec Speedy 300-80 watts
    Software: Corel Draw X6, Windows 7 64-bit, Adobe Photoshop CS5
    __________________________________________________ ___

Please, call me Ron.

Ron,

Did you use the corel trace? the finish seem to be very good? or any extra effort needed?

regards

I just enlarged the picture and manually traced the outline using 3 point curves, then fine tuned the nodes as needed.

Edit: I just sat down to learn about the tracing options Corel has included for bitmaps. I had no idea the software option exisited! Quick trace did in less than a second what took me hours to do manually. It still needs to be cleaned up, but it's a facinating option to use.
    Last edited by Ronald Erickson; 01-01-2013 at 1:19 PM. Reason: Learned something new
    Laser: Trotec Speedy 300-80 watts
    Software: Corel Draw X6, Windows 7 64-bit, Adobe Photoshop CS5
    __________________________________________________ ___

Please, call me Ron.