Thread: Campbell Finishing Schedule

Campbell Finishing Schedule

Hi all,

I got a hold of a painted vintage Thomasville dresser that I have stripped and I plan to paint it in the same scheme as the manufacturer.
    The original had a off white base, aged gold in the coves and beads, and some very light grey toned glaze on the curves.
    Want to make sure I do it right as I usually spray house paint like BM alkyd but I wanted to use something made for spraying this time and avoid any possibility of yellowing.

I stripped the piece with methyl chloride stripper. I read that these usually have wax in them to slow down drying. This piece has a lot of bead and cove details so I want to limit sanding.
    Should I wipe down with mineral spirits and sand lightly?

1. Prime with pre cat MagnaClaw, 2 coats sanding 320 between coats.
    2. Topcoat with Magnamax or Magnalac. Since I have to buy a gallon might as well do 2 coats. Sand lightly with 400 after each coat?
    3. Paint gold highlights with artists paintbrush. I have used waterbase metallic paints from Blue pearl for this before but I don't know if it's the best choice here. In many places the gold was wiped during application and thus very thin to give a somewhat distressed look. If I abrade it slightly will there be a compatibility problem with a clear Campbell pre cat topcoat?
    4. Glaze with Campbell glaze. I assume my supplier can tint this for me.
    5. Topcoat with Campbell clear.

I saw a professional mention that he simply tints the primer thus avoiding the topcoat step altogether (glaze and clear on top of primer) but it's possible I may stop at the topcoat so I don't mind the extra steps.

P.S. as I stripped this piece i was amazed at the quality of contruction. The drawers, which have a S curve to the front and are inset, are made of 1" ply laminations. They must have made a custom press for this.
    The drawers have a 1/16" hardwood bead applied to the front using grooves - all on the curved front of the drawers.
    The top has a base of MDF but the 3 edges are breadboarded hardwood and then the entire top has what looks like a strip veneer top so you cannot see the breadboard joint. I suppose they did this to avoid any possibilty of warping or cracking.

You can call your Campbell distributor, but I suspect there will be a need in there for a coat of clear vinyl sealer as well, if you will be introducing non-Campbell chemicals between coats.

Todd

Not sure if this would apply, but from talking to my ML Campbell rep he was telling me to limit the number of topcoats. The product I use is Krystal, and specifically with that product he told me 2 coats or maximum 3 coats at 4-5 wet mils. Not sure if that would apply to their precats or not.