Thread: Woodturning and Martial Arts...

Woodturning and Martial Arts...

At first glance these might appear to be completely unrelated topics, but they actually are.

The point being both stress stances, body positioning and body movement.

For example, when turning bowls and vessels I often find myself moving from say, front-stance to back-stance (and back), or from left-tiger to right-tiger. While I often find myself in a "natural" or horse stance when doing spindle work.

Watching demonstrators I can often tell, from the way they move, if they have any martial arts training.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I started woodturning long before I picked up Tai Chi. When I started Tai Chi, I found out I already knew many of the movements of the foot stances and weight shifting. Stability, fluid motion, and breathing, which most of us really never think about.

robo hippy

No martial arts, but I found recently that the fluid stance of turning has changed the way I brush on varnish - moving more with my legs rather than arm and wrist.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Not to mention the mental aspects - one had better be fully present in the moment to participate in either activity!

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I tend to agree. I do not like to move just my hands, I like to move my whole body when I am turning something. This gives me a better view of what I am doing and also gives me more control over what I am doing. I love martial arts with a passion and have a cousin who is very good, Don the dragon Wilson.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant