Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swirly Ash HF

Swirly Ash HF

Here is the last piece I completed. This was done as my end of a turning trade with Dave Walters in Australia.

This piece of ash was turned to shape, sandblasted and finished with 4-5 coats of tung oil. The finial is African blackwood (of course)!

Approximately 6" wide x 9" tall (I am only guessing since I forgot to measure it before sending it to Australia)

Comments and complaints are encouraged! Thanks

Ash-swap2.jpgAsh-swap1.jpg
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

2. Outstanding Scott, love the form and the elegant finial is really an eyecatcher and a work of art, I think it makes the piece look like it's floating on air, how large was your opening, looks like it might be an inch or under?

Beautiful piece Scott. Outstanding finial and form.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nicely done, Scott. I'm sure it will be very well received.

very nice form and wood, i will check out finale after digesting main body, thanks for sharing Scott

You did not make mention of it but the wood looks to have been sandblasted. The rustic surface adds a lot of textural interest to the body and juxtaposes nicely with the sleekness of your "signature" finial. Of course the form is excellent and I like your tall finials even though the "common wisdom" would call for one that was a bit shorter. If I had any complaint at all it would be with the worm holes which I find distracting. But I'll bet I end up being "odd man out" on that one! Very sweet piece.
    David DeCristoforo

7. Scott.......this is very nice work. Nice form and a signature finial. The sandblasting on this one does not do it for me, but you didn't do this for me!

I am not a fan of sandblasting on most forms that I have seen, but it is certainly a viable embellishment that numerous turners use. Ash is a good wood to do it on because of the soft growth rings.

Nice work........even if it isn't my personal cup-O'-tea!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very nice Scott, I have heard about sandblasting a turning but dont believe I have seen one until now. I am not sure yet what I think about it, but the turning is very nice and the finial is outstanding, well done.

Opps... brain fart... you did mention the sandblasting... missed that... need more sleep!

David DeCristoforo

Thanks for the comments. I am just happy that it made it all the way to the other side of the planet...intact! And it only took 11 days from Kansas to Australia using 1st class postage!
    -------
    -------

Pretty nice piece, Scott..... I like it all.......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I am just happy that it made it all the way to the other side of the planet...intact! And it only took 11 days from Kansas to Australia using 1st class postage!
    Very nice! And now it can be said that your artwork is on display to the four corners of the Earth!

David

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Very nice! And now it can be said that your artwork is on display to the four corners of the Earth!

David
    Hey I never thought about that! Up until this, the furthest away owner of one of my doo dads was in Hawaii. Now I guess I need to do a trade (or a sale) in the UK!
    -------
    -------

You asked for complaints, so here goes: you make me feel bad about my own efforts by showing such a nice piece! I like the shape, the finial and the sandblasting. Not certain about the wormholes, but it is a great piece nonetheless.

Hmmm! ><Guess I don't need to say more than comments made directly to you. Still think the piece could be improve--nice with the view you show!!