Thread: Two more carvings finished!

Talking Two more carvings finished!

Here are pictures of my latest two letter carving experiments. One is basswood, and the other is mahogany. The mahogany is definitely more of a challenge to carve, but I think the look is worth it. The light one is finished in Deft spray lacquer. I wanted water-based poly because that's what I used on my first one, but all my local Ace had was the Deft. I'm glad of it too, because that stuff is great! The mahogany is finished with shellac.

Every one of these is a learning experience. Any comments are welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Both signs are great!!! But that Hot Rod sign is awesome!!! i love the color and the lettering. i really like the pin strip design...yours or the shop owners??

jon

Excellent work on the signs.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Olson
    Both signs are great!!! But that Hot Rod sign is awesome!!! i love the color and the lettering. i really like the pin strip design...yours or the shop owners??

jon
    Actually neither, I found that on the internet. I would like to find someone who can do that kind of pinstripe though, so that I could get original patterns in the future. By the same token, I want to find someone who is really good at calligraphy, because having patterns hand drawn would open up a lot of possibilities over what I can do on the computer.

Thanks for the compliments!

Looks great Bart!!! You did a great job on both signs...I know Bill will be happy to have it!

WOW those look great!!! I really like the Hot Rod one the best, it looks like you get crisper (is that a word?) lines with the harder woods. Is a granite cartuche next?
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Werrrrrrrrrrrrrrry NICE >>>>>YOU WARCALLY WABBIT!

I REALLY LIKE the second one.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ballent
    WOW those look great!!! I really like the Hot Rod one the best, it looks like you get crisper (is that a word?) lines with the harder woods. Is a granite cartuche next?
    Word or not, that was my impression too. The harder wood just seems to take detail better than bass. I think I'll stay away from granite, but butternut is the next experiment. Then on to walnut and cherry!

excellent work!!! you have some real skill

keep up the good work
    lou

Bart, those signs look perfect! You have some great technique in accomplishing both of those!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Very nice Bart. I've done a bit of letter carving in teak and found it to be very easy to cut with consistancy without going "oops".

Bass is a very soft wood. One of the guys in my shop used to restore old woodies (cars) and claims that's the wood that was used for interior overhead battens. Looks nice varnished.

KP

Bart...you've taken this beyond the "experiment" stage. Nice signs!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker
    Very nice Bart. I've done a bit of letter carving in teak and found it to be very easy to cut with consistancy without going "oops".

Bass is a very soft wood. One of the guys in my shop used to restore old woodies (cars) and claims that's the wood that was used for interior overhead battens. Looks nice varnished.

KP
    How hard is teak relative to mahogany? I've always thought teak was really hard, but I've never worked with it. If it isn't, then maybe I should add that to my list of "must-try" woods!

I didn't think about it, but you're right about it being a little easier to avoid "oops"es with the harder wood. There were several times when I popped out of a cut that intersected another line and banged in to the far side of the groove. That probably would have left a gash in bass, but didn't leave a scratch on the mahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    excellent work!!! you have some real skill

keep up the good work
    lou
    Thanks Lou, I appreciate that. My plan is to practice, practice, practice.

Jeff, you might rethink the word "perfect" if you saw them up close, and you would certainly rethink the word "technique" if you were to watch me hacking away at these things.