Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Bessey K Body Revo JR. clamps?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Attachment 346671
    Here is a photo of all 3 Bessey clamps. Far left is the Revo Jr, middle is the original (to me) with an after market handle softener and the Revo on the right. The Revo JR and the original are pretty close to the same size, the original is about 3/4" deeper and is wider as well.

Hope this helps - Bill
    Bill,

Thank-you this is exactly what I was looking for! From that picture it looks like these clamps would fit my interests as well. I don't know how I'm just now hearing of them. I guess cancelling my magazine subscriptions does cause one to miss out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Attachment 346671
    Here is a photo of all 3 Bessey clamps. Far left is the Revo Jr, middle is the original (to me) with an after market handle softener and the Revo on the right. The Revo JR and the original are pretty close to the same size, the original is about 3/4" deeper and is wider as well.

Hope this helps - Bill
    Bill, thanks for posting this. Any huge differences operationally or quality-wise between the original K-Bodies and the Revo Jr”s? I’m putting together a second shop at my house upstate and will be building a dozen or so interior and exterior doors, kitchen cabinets, furniture, etc and will need several clamps. Just wondering if the Jr’s are substantial enough as I’ve never seen any in-person.

Based on the specs at the Bessy site, these Revo Jr clamps seem to be taking the middle ground between the heavier K-bodies and the UniClamp lightweight clamps with 1500, 900 and 300 lbs of clamping force respectively. They also appear to be of the "parallel" design which the light UniClamps are only marginally due to their simplicity. I suspect that many woodworkers would be quite well served by the Jr version for general clamping and if there is a cost differential (presumed), that makes acquisition easier. I know I'm often pulling out the few UniClamps I have for utility clamping and sometimes wish I had more of the lighter clamps.

So from my point of view...if I found I needed more clamps that are a) parallel clamping design and b) not expected to exert the highest level of clamping pressure for general purpose clamping, I'd absolutely consider the Jrs for that role.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

IMG_0678.jpg

Additional photo and info;
    -Jr head width is 1 1/2", Original is 1 3/8", Revo is 2".
    -Jr bar is 1" wide, Orig & Revo are 1 1/8" and significantly more robust.
    -Jr has the replaceable jaw covers like the Revo but thinner.
    -Jr is lighter and easier to use/control.

Jim B's analysis is spot on in my estimation/experience. I have the Jrs in 12", 18" and 24" and use them for incidental bench clamping, drawers, cabinet doors, face frames, etc. I would NOT use them for house doors, table tops or anything requiring significant reefing.

Regards - Bill

Great, thanks again.

FWIW - I just received the Rockler "Holiday Sale" (11/25-12/10) flier in the mail. They are offering a Revo JR set of 2-18" & 2-24" for $99.96 which equates to approx 25% off. I believe this is an in store only deal.

I stumbled upon this 7-year-old thread with a four-year gap because Rockler is about to put a six-clamp Revo Jr. set on sale for an average of $30 per clamp, and I'm wondering if I should jump. Like Bill McNiel I have ten of the original K body and four of the Revo KRE clamps, but unlike him I don't have the Jr style on hand.

One difference between original and Revo KRE that I like is that the Revo clamps stay where they are lifted up to, while the originals slip down with a sometimes painful bang. I've learned to anticipate this and I can avoid accidents, but I do like to convenience of no slipping with the Revo KREs.

Bessey's catalog says this about the Revo KRE: "Operating jaw stays where you put it for easy set up," but it doesn't say anything about this for the Jr.

So, do the Jr. clamps hold their place or slide back down if you let go? From Bill's October 30 photo I can't tell if the Jrs have guide rods around the bar.

8. I have several sets of the old style K-body clamps, and the new revo jr's, and when clamping up I always reach for the jr's first. Amazingly light weight and strong. I'll be buying more when they come on sale.

I have a dozen of the jr's in 18" length. They work well for me. No regrets.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I like the dubuque aluminum bar clamps for pulling furniture joints together.
    They are much lighter than the besseys, which get awkward to use later in a project (and I've managed to ding my work before when one slipped)
    I still tend to use the besseys when doing panels/tabletops.

Believe the dubuques are up to 1000lbs of force. The clamp faces are smaller than on the bessey kbodies.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    I like the dubuque aluminum bar clamps for pulling furniture joints together.
    They are much lighter than the besseys, which get awkward to use later in a project (and I've managed to ding my work before when one slipped)
    I still tend to use the besseys when doing panels/tabletops.

Believe the dubuques are up to 1000lbs of force. The clamp faces are smaller than on the bessey kbodies.

Matt
    Yup. Love my Dubuques too - my absolute favorites. I use different clamps for different purposes, including pipe clamps.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I have a dozen of the jr's in 18" length. They work well for me. No regrets.
    Well, still no one has enlightened me on the slide-down question, but on the strength of your recommendation, Frederick, I sprang for the Rockler sale set: 2 each of 18”, 24”, and 36” Revo Jrs. for $180 plus tax. I’ll pop back in when I see for myself. I’m expecting the Jrs. to slide down like the originals.

ROCKLER has a Sale on now...Think it 6 Bessey clamps for under $200...FYI
    Jerry

I like to make boxes, so I ordered 6 of the Jr's two years ago from Rockler (some 12", some 18"). Every one of them failed to be parallel. They all were about 2 degrees toed in on the stationary end. I contacted Bessy directly and they stated that 2 degrees falls within their specs. I have found it very difficult to get around this flaw when making the boxes.

BesseyJrClamp.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Sevier View Post
    I like to make boxes, so I ordered 6 of the Jr's two years ago from Rockler (some 12", some 18"). Every one of them failed to be parallel. They all were about 2 degrees toed in on the stationary end. I contacted Bessy directly and they stated that 2 degrees falls within their specs. I have found it very difficult to get around this flaw when making the boxes.

BesseyJrClamp.jpg
    Bryan, thanks for this observation. My new Jrs are also out of square at the receiving end like yours, but I notice they close up upon tightening. I'd rather have them "out leaning in" than "out leaning out," if that makes sense.

This made me curious about my other Besseys. The originals (without the removable pads) are dead square, but the Revo KREs are actually off as well. One of them is off in the other direction! But it also seems to close up upon tightening.

I'll need to do some additional testing with glue-ups to see if they close up square.