Thread: need glue recommendation

need glue recommendation

I accidentally cross cut into my end pin in my dovetail joint, using a Japanese pull saw. The cut is about 1/64 inch. Usually when I glue the dovetails I use Titebond 1 or 2. Perhaps when I glue the joint up, some of that glue will migrate into that cut and give some end grain to end grain bonding action. Other thoughts are using a thin epoxy to migrate into that saw kerf cut or Gorilla Glue polyurethane which supposedly can help with end grain to end grain - will it be thick enough to fill the gap? I have Starbond cyanoacrylate, but it is like water and will not fill the gap. Perhaps a thicker cyanoacrylate? Advise welcome.dovetail pin.jpg

If that pin will be visible in the final assembly, I would cut a new part. If that pin will be obscured or away from view, I would pack it best I could with a glue and sawdust paste. It will be visible but much less noticable. It will not provide any structural suppot to the pin.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    If that pin will be visible in the final assembly, I would cut a new part. If that pin will be obscured or away from view, I would pack it best I could with a glue and sawdust paste. It will be visible but much less noticable. It will not provide any structural suppot to the pin.
    Brian, the pin will not be visible in the final assembly. Thanks for the advice.

Mark, if the pin is not going to be visible, the issue is then strength. There should be enough surface area around it (I suspect that this is a drawer divider), so just glue up and forget it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Mark, if the pin is not going to be visible, the issue is then strength. There should be enough surface area around it (I suspect that this is a drawer divider), so just glue up and forget it.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Thanks Derek!