Thread: Work in progress - Part II

Work in progress - Part II

More progress on my Maple burl torus. Please see http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...l-hollow-torus for part I.

Hollowing continued. I was able to reach the extreme inside edge at the largest diameter by using a slightly longer 3/16" square HSS bit in my articulated hollowing tip on a swan neck bar. Wall thickness is now right at 1/4" and will be reduced a little bit more when the outside is finish turned and sanded.
    photo 1.JPG

Hollowing complete. Uniform wall thickness of just under 1/4".
    photo 2.JPG

Obverse view. The recesses on both sides allow full access to the inside for hollowing.
    photo 3.JPG

The first recess has been removed and initial sanding has been completed. I need to do final sanding on this side of the form, then I can reverse it and remove the recess from the other side. I'm still trying to figure out a method for that part.
    photo 4.JPG

Thanks for looking.
    Jason

Looks like it is coming along. Can't wait to see it finished.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Man, that's really awesome, it's going to look fantastic finished. I suppose the easiest way I would think to reverse it to remove the other recess would be to use a big donut type chuck.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein