My primary woodworking hobby is making furniture. To support that endeavor I have had a lathe of some sort for about 15 years. I would describe myself as spindle turner of intermediate skill. Lately I have decided that I would like to do some faceplate turning. I would like to solicit some advice here on what additional tools I should add to my arsenal to get this going. I have as a short term goal to turn some salad bowls with an eye to small (5x8ish) hollow forms. I have an assortment of spindle turning tools including a SRG, ½” continental spindle gouge, ¼” spindle gouge, a diamond parting tool and a few skews of various sizes. I have a Supernova2 chuck with 2” and 1” jaws. I have a Jet 1642 2hp lathe that came with a 6” faceplate. I have been looking at Thompson gouges and am torn on a couple of things. First what size gouge to get 3/8, 1/2 or 5/8? Then U or V flute. Also should I get a scraper or two and if so what type? Should I get a smaller faceplate, what size? Any other recommendations that I haven’t thought to ask for would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Willie