Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Wall-Mounted 120V Dust Collector?

Best Wall-Mounted 120V Dust Collector?

I've been looking to add dust collection to my severly space limited shop. Basically a 20x20 garage that I'd like to get 2 cars into when not woodworking.

I'm confident I need a wall-mounted collector due to footprint limitations, but not sure what the best smaller wall mount setup is. My walls are also space limited, so I've been looking at stuff like the Rockler dust right. I understand the limitations of these units vs a 5hp 2 stage cyclone and I'll be able to keep runs under 10' with only one tool, but that will still outperform my shop vac. So given these difficult contraints (wall, 120V, limited wall space) what can I do?

I'd like units that offer a 1micron bag if possible.

If all else fails I just plan to grab a dustright on sale and a 5micron bag for it, so any suggestions that beat that are welcomed. I figure that's better than just putting a dust deputy on my shop vac.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Brody Goodwine; 12-26-2012 at 2:19 PM.

Try this instead of buying a dedicated wall mount unit: Get a HF (Harbor Freight) 2 hp single stage unit, but when you assemble it don't put it together, just mount the motor and blower to your wall. Then buy a filter bag like the ones on other wall mount units (try Grizzly or other supplier). Store the remaning parts for futer use. I know you don't have the space, but you also can mount the filter bag assembly on the wall with the blower and skip the base. It will take some work, but the HF blower is much more powerful than any other wall mount unit. It will also cost less money (look for a coupon in WOOD magazine) than any other brand. Plus if you want to remove it from the wall you have original base and fliter assembly.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

A five micron bag isn't going to do you a whole lot of good. Sorry, that's just the facts.
    Do the HF DC install. You will be much happier and healthier.

Convertable work spaces are rife with compromise. DC either works well or it doesn't. Your lungs will let you know one day in the distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cramer View Post
    Try this instead of buying a dedicated wall mount unit: Get a HF (Harbor Freight) 2 hp single stage unit, but when you assemble it don't put it together, just mount the motor and blower to your wall. Then buy a filter bag like the ones on other wall mount units (try Grizzly or other supplier). Store the remaning parts for futer use. I know you don't have the space, but you also can mount the filter bag assembly on the wall with the blower and skip the base. It will take some work, but the HF blower is much more powerful than any other wall mount unit. It will also cost less money (look for a coupon in WOOD magazine) than any other brand. Plus if you want to remove it from the wall you have original base and fliter assembly.
    Bryan, I was tossing around the idea of chopping up a better collector to get it in a wall config. Great post!!

Do you know off hand who sells the tightest (lowest micron rating) bag that will work with it? with that much power i think I may be able to mount things up high and retain both bags on the wall.

A lot of people like the HF unit and think its a great deal. Go to the HF web site and read some customer reviews on it. Most people who have problems have motor trouble. The 2 HP motor uses the same power as most 1.5 HP motors do, suggesting the motor may be overrated (underpowered). Just be aware.

The wall mounting sounds like a good idea.

John

If you go the 2 hp route you should have enough cfm to go with the 1 micron bag if you can get a large one. If you go with a small blower you will lose so much cfm with the tight bag and undersized blower that dust will not be captured as effectively at the machine negating the benefit of the tight bag. I'm not a fan of the 5 micron bag but if you are not sanding with fine grits you aren't producing dust under 5 microns so the additional cfm isn't necessarily a bad trade off. Most hobby ambients need an upgraded filter to handle the submicron stuff effectively. Dave

"Do you know off hand who sells the tightest (lowest micron rating) bag that will work with it?"

Try this place. Grizzly has 2 micron bags for a bit cheaper or you could get a canister for $150+.
    As for motor troubles I have no problems with mine I have ran it for three years. I do production runs where it runs non-stop for hours. Sure it might be under powered, but I don't notice it. You will need a dedicated 20 amp breaker to run it.
    Last edited by Bryan Cramer; 12-26-2012 at 10:51 PM.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Wall mounted cyclone.

Wynn Environmental has canisters that fit the HF down to, 0.5 micron size. If memory serves, it's their 35A kit. Google them.

5 microns is asking to destroy your lungs.

The specs on the HF unit are fiction, but it is very cheap, especially with the ubiquitous coupon. I replaced mine with a Oneida cyclone, and am, obviously, much happier. But that is a whole other league cost-wise.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

The best small shop DC setup is going to be a rolling unit with a short drop hose that you can move between machines. It's easy to tuck away when not in use (hand work, assembly and finishing steps) and brought out when needed. Any of the small, wall mountable units are not going to have the performance to support any form of duct work or longer hose...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Rockler unit is not designed to perform DC duties.

DC involves moving larger quantities of air than a small vacuum is capable.

Blog Entries
    PaPa Jack here. I just went through what you are expressing. I purchased 2 floor vacs they dust collecter, and then a air filtration system ---ONLY to find out that all of them spue our fine particles. All of my equipment has rating of 5 microns. There is still fine dust all over garage on OTHER side of wall. I finally found a portable vac that has a HEPA Filter. I connect it to the tool I am using and so far it is working.

Sill looking for better ideas myself. Good Luck

Hope

Blog Entries
    PaPa Jack - forgot to tell everyone - I think the answer is the new DeWalt portable floor vac, HEPA Filter, filters down to .03 microns !!! Only one approved for use in musems ! I hear. Certainly better than my $300 air purfier system. Got mine at Rockler

Blog Entries
    check out the new DeWalt - .03 microns LESS that one micron !

Jack and Brody - Dust collection is not to be confused with wood chip collection. The stuff you call sawdust is actually chips/shavings. These are essentially harmless and are simply a nuisance if neatness counts. Capturing the fine particles that represent the true risk to your lungs is a challenge even with a 5 hp cyclone system.

You need two things for effective DC; hoods and lots of air movement.

I have the HF unit setup with a cartridge filter and about eight feet of 5" hose that gets hooked up to whatever tool I am using. In almost every instance my shop vac also gets attached. for example, on my TS, the DC gets hooked up to the cabinet to capture the lions share of the chips and dust. The shop vac gets attacked to the Shark Guard blade guard. Even with all of this collection effort, I still get some dust/chips that do not get captured.

For the particles that do not get captured, I have a ambient air filter that scrubs the air in my shop. And just to make sure my DC and ambient system is performing, I have a particle counter that gives me real time data on the quality of air in my shop.

I wish I could tell you that the first thing you need for woodworking are clamps, clamps and more clamps. And that the hobby is really inexpensive. But, IME, DC is a fundamental system in any shop. So before tooling up, you need to evaluate your DC requirements.

By all means get the Rockler wall mount unit if you want a convenient vacuum to collect wood chips that are within the hoses reach. Just do not expect this modest unit to be an answer to your DC concerns.
    Last edited by Greg Peterson; 12-28-2012 at 12:26 PM.