Thread: Shop-Made Router Table

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shop-Made Router Table

Just wanted to share some pics of my new router table - I know that I get lots of inspiration from what others have posted here, so this is my way of contributing back.

046.jpg 051.jpg
    The top is just two pieces of MDF laminated together, and edged with some scrap I had laying around. Of course I made it the correct height to serve as in/outfeed support for my table saw. The router plate is from Pinnacle; I really love the indexed inserts of different sizes, but it will eventually be replaced with a real router lift that is better at controlling depth changes/bit changes from above. Im using the cheapo Rockler router table fence right now - building a better one will probably be my next project, since I have to continually shim the Rockler to keep it flat/perpendicular to the table. Casters are 4" double locking from Stanley E Smith (SES), Ive used their wheels on everything in my shop and think they're a great deal (very comparable to Great Lakes Casters in price/quality).

043.jpg 047.jpg
    I cut slots for airflow in the door that covers the router bay. Theres a 90° elbow in the bottom which exits out the back into a 4" quick connect. Seems to do a decent job of keeping the dust down so far.

050.jpg 048.jpg 049.jpg
    This will give me lots of storage, Im probably going to add an adjustable shelf on the far left, or maybe some pull-out bins. The router bit storage "drawer" pulls out on two full extension drawer slides.

045.jpg
    The paddle switch controls the router only. The smaller switch above controls the outlet on the side, where I plug in my DC/shop-vac.

Thanks for looking!
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good design and workmanship.

Awhile back, I found plans for a router table with "pull-out" drawers like you included in yours (see below link). Seems to me like a very good idea -- it is easier to fabricate one or two large drawers for bits and other miscellaneous items than numerous smaller drawers.
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/pr...r_table_part_1

Thanks, Ray.

Thats actually the exact same plan where I got the idea for the pull out bit drawer! Mine "only" has room for 64 bits (48 -1/2" and 16 - 1/4"); I cant see myself ever needing more room than that.
    Last edited by Jason Hanko; 12-23-2012 at 7:44 PM. Reason: me spell gud

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That is a very nice router table. I will have to steal (borrow) some ideas for it to make my new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    That is a very nice router table. I will have to steal (borrow) some ideas for it to make my new one.
    Great Larry - thats exactly why I put this stuff on here. My SMC subscription has paid for itself many times over just on inspiration and ideas alone!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]