Thread: Cedar Hope Chest

Cedar Hope Chest

This one is an oldie. It's been a long time since I've done any flatwork.
    One of my sisters recently asked me if I would make a cradle for our nephew and his wife, who are expecting a baby this summer. She reminded me of this hope chest that I made for her as a wedding present.
    I made this chest from aromatic cedar about 20 years ago. At that time, my "shop" was in the spare bedroom and the only tools I had were a cheap benchtop radial arm saw, benchtop contractors saw (both B&D from the big ornage), a handheld jigsaw, drill and a router.
    I asked my sister to take some pictures of it and send them to me. When I saw the pics, I cringed when I saw the finish drips on the inside , and it looks like it's seen a little bit of wear and tear, but my sister said it's her favorite thing and that for years after, their bedroom smelled like cedar.
    I'm thinking I could do a much better job if I tried another, and hopefully with the better class of tools I have now, the cradle will be a success.
    3ioGC-001.jpgzDc0a-001.jpgNBs1o-001.jpgMGoUt-001.jpgEhaxm-004.jpgAu6Qw-002.jpg
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Hi Kathy,

I'm used to admiring your turning work. Looks like you did pretty well with the tools you had to work with when you did this project and obviously you sister has treasured it. It is a real honor to be asked to make the cradle. Can't wait to see what you some up with.