Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive tool --- 3/16" thick steel for grinding up?

Inexpensive tool --- 3/16" thick steel for grinding up?

Title has wrong dimension --- need 3/32nds of an inch thick, not 3/16ths.... my apologies.

I need a 1/2" fluting cutter for my Stanley 12-250 combination plane --- Stanley is out of stock and I want cash-and-carry / immediate gratification.

Suggestions for an inexpensive tool which I can find at a big-box / honest good price hardware store which will have 3/32" thick, 1/2" wide and at least 3.5" long steel and which I won't feel bad about grinding up?
    Last edited by William Adams; 12-17-2012 at 7:50 PM. Reason: stupidity

Try finding an old power planer or jointer blade. Should work for what you need to do. I have made marking knives from them before.

Wayne
    http://infillplanemaker.blogspot.ca

The buck plane iron at home depot will be somewhere in that neighborhood and will be $3.

Blog Entries
    The buck plane iron at home depot will be somewhere in that neighborhood and will be $3.
    That was going to be my suggestion, but David beat me to it.

When making your own fluting cutter remember the original blade has the side cut out so the center of the blade is at the center of the skate.

Hmmm, maybe that is something to check next time I am out in the shop to see if they are centered on the one skate of if it is centered on both skates.

I'll get back to you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    And is surprisingly decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Coen View Post
    And is surprisingly decent.
    Yep, takes an edge fine and works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I need to make a nicker for a fillister plane. Is a plane iron a good candidate for this?

I think if you're making a nicker, and it's going to fit in a taper, I'd start with something unhardened (O1). If the taper already exists, you'll need to file it precisely to fit, and stoning a fiddly narrow piece of hardened steel might be difficult. You'll also need the thickness to match the fillister plane's tapered dovetail if the nicker is on a vintage plane and its of that type.

Blog Entries
    I need to make a nicker for a fillister plane. Is a plane iron a good candidate for this?
    One old timer suggested to me a knicker could be made out of a cut nail. Imagine one might be able to beat a wire nail flat and then use it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One old timer suggested to me a knicker could be made out of a cut nail. Imagine one might be able to beat a wire nail flat and then use it.

jtk
    The cut nail nickers (sounds like an old baseball team or bluegrass band...) are not an uncommon sight in my experience.

11. look at the big box or hardware store for a floor scraper blade. generally a bigish piece of carbon steel with a generally rectangular shape for not too much money, and hardened for sharpening with a file, so you can work it with hacksaws and files without having to anneal first.

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    look at the big box or hardware store for a floor scraper blade. generally a bigish piece of carbon steel with a generally rectangular shape for not too much money, and hardened for sharpening with a file, so you can work it with hacksaws and files without having to anneal first.
    That looks like the ticket.

Thanks!

Thanks Jim. Good idea. I have several different sizes of cut nails in the shop.

Following up to this old thread. I took Jim's advice and used a cut nail to make a replacement knicker. It took a little shaping to make the fit good. It performs just fine. This is from a hardened masonry cut nail. Thanks Jim.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was going to suggest that you use a masonry nail , I believe that they come in round or flat shape