Thread: Do some self-closing euro hinges close better than others?

Do some self-closing euro hinges close better than others?

Our face frame kitchen cabinets have full overlay, self-closing, Grass euro hinges, without motion control. The doors shut themselves if you get them almost closed (last 3-4 inches). Are there other hinges that I could retrofit, (or some other device), that will close the cabinet when the door is further open? A family member often leaves the cabinets partly open, which makes momma unhappy. If possible, I would like the doors on several cabinets to shut automatically, unless they were fully opened.

I haven't seen any for cabinet doors?

Probably be easier and cheaper to tell that family member how to close a cabinet door than to replace all the hinges anyway

You might be better off determining the number of degrees open your Grass hinges kick-in rather than inches towards closure. Inches towards closure is a factor of the width of the door. You can then compare the kick-in degree amongst other manufacturers.

Blum Compact hinges with Blumotion begin to self-close at around 40-45 degrees (roughly half way closed). You need to compare Grass and Blum installation specs to see if they would be interchangable (a 3/4" o'lay Grass hinge may require a different cup location that the Blum 3/4" o'lay hinge). My suggestion is to call Blum tech support.

As others have mentioned, a better solution would be to train the family member to follow mamma's wishes and close the door when done.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Grass and Blum will NOT interchange, you would need new holes in the doors and possibly new holes in the cabinet. I know this for a fact b/c I had to sell my Grass hinge machine and buy a Blum when I switched brands several years ago and there was no way to change the drilling pattern on the machine

JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Sayers View Post
    Our face frame kitchen cabinets have full overlay, self-closing, Grass euro hinges, without motion control. The doors shut themselves if you get them almost closed (last 3-4 inches). Are there other hinges that I could retrofit, (or some other device), that will close the cabinet when the door is further open? A family member often leaves the cabinets partly open, which makes momma unhappy. If possible, I would like the doors on several cabinets to shut automatically, unless they were fully opened.
    I have the Blumotion and it doesn't correct the family member problem - DAMHIKT.

Mike

Thanks for the input guys. I will give Blum tech support a call to see what would be involved in a retrofit. If they closed from 40-45 degrees, that would solve 90% of the problem. The lack of door slamming might further promote household bliss.

FWIW door slamming is a different problem which can be remedied without changing the hinges. There are several choices in soft close devices which can be added to the cabinet itself

Jeffd