Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim's Surprize

Jim's Surprize

A while back my buddy Jim Adkins and I decided to do a turning swap. He got right too it and sent me a wonderful piece done in his SW Basketweave form. After receiving one of his masterpieces I knew I needed to raise the bar a bit. So... I finally got to work on my end of the deal about 3 1/2 months ago. This piece of sycamore was turned and hollowed (by hand) while green to final shape, allowed to dry, about 25 hours worth of piercing and a little pyro on the top and bottom and I finally fulfilled my end of the bargain! Least to say, I am not ready to start a project like this for a while.

Jim called me tonight and let me know that it arrived safe and sound and that he liked it. So now I can post the info and photos without ruining the surprize for him! Ho Ho Ho, here ya go!

7" high x 6 1/2" wide and a real close 3/16" thick thoughout. 4 coats of Tung Oil Finish.

Comments and such are always welcome

JIM1-light.jpgJIM9-light.jpgJIM10-light.jpg
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Scott, You are a wild and crazy guy. First the finished piece is a thing of beauty. But your ability to spend the number of hours it must have taken to pierce the entire turning and do such a wonderful job of keeping the spaces left not pierced so uniform and parallel befuddles me. That's not even addressing how thin and uniform the hollow form must be to allow that much piercing. Complicated, demanding and very artsy. Great job.
    faust

Scott, you are simply stupid crazy great! That is unbelievable, it really is. How could Jim not like it?!?!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Without a doubt, your best work to date. At least from what I have seen. Many superlatives are sure to follow and I'm tired so I'm going to leave them all to others. But this is very, very sweet!
    David DeCristoforo

5. Yep....you raised the bar Scott! I am sure Jim appreciates all the hard work you put into this........your inner "R-teeeest" is surfacing more and more each piece you do.........congratulations!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Scott,

That is a stunning piece, I know Jim is going to love it.

Alan

Scott - most impressive! Seriously, quite the stunning piece of work! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

At first i thought the piece was pyro'd..when I read the description, that it was pierced, I about fell off my shop stool! Quite an accomplishment. Beyond rational thought!! :-) Good heavens. Astounding.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

The phrase 'glutton for punishment' comes to mind. Great piece, belongs in a notable collection.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

A ton of fine effort there.
    C&C WELCOME

Scott,
    You must have the patience of "Job!" It must weigh almost nothing. I am often amazed at you creativity and tool prowess. You have superb talent and I marvel at your accomplishments in only three short years of turning.
    Superb, Scott.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

That is a beautiful piece Scott. There had to be a lot of patience with this one.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Fantastic piece, Scott! Great shape and wonderful piercing. It must have taken many hours, but well worth the effort.

Hello Scott. Just one word describes this piece--SPECKTACALAH. Max

Great work,Scott, really like the top and bottom treatment, it is really tough to do that much piercing and keep it that neat and clean.

Larry