Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim's Surprize

Talk about raising the bar. That is one awesome hollow form. It must have been difficult to wrap it up and send it off. Still, knowing Jim's work, you received a great piece. You both will enjoy the giving and receiving of beautiful artistry.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks for the kind words. Seems like some of my sketches and mental ideas sometimes outweigh my desire to "put in the effort"! It was getting hard to stay motivated to finish this piece. This one was bordering on testing my attension and nerves. At about 15 hours in I was just sick of it. At 20 I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. And after the 25ish hour of piercing, I was ready to jump for joy when I pierced the last squiggle.

I did discover that dried sycamore gets darn HARD and at 3/16", it's not "thin enough" for efficient piercing. Most of the "squiggles" took three passes to go all the way through! And that was going through 3-4 carbide bits on my NSK Presto. through the entire project.

Either way I am fairly pleased with this one and from the phone call I recieved from Jim, I got the feeling he was too. I should have taken pictures of the plywood box I made to house it, inside of the shipping box! I was just sure that the Post Office would crush this dude on its way to Jim, so I took no chances! (1/2 a roll of bubble wrapp too!)

Thanks again for the comments.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Wow. How many times did you have to get your eyes checked while doing the piercing? I can't see any reason that Jim would not love this piece. It's just spectacular!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Outstanding - I don't think I would have the patience to do a job like this. Well done!

Well, Jim is hereby stating loud and clear....."He loves the piece". I'm thinking Scott got the short end of the deal
    on this little trade but I guess if we're both happy that works for me.
    THANKS SCOTT
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    The phrase 'glutton for punishment' comes to mind.
    That was my first thought, too. Amazing piece, Scott. Love the ends, as well.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Scott, with that many hours and that much attention to detail, Jim it the most appropriate turner I can think of to receive this piece. If anyone can appreciate the time, effort, monotony, and patience that this took, it would be him...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Scott
    Being a little late to say anything I believe your time and skills have really shown in this piece. You have the heart and mind of an outstanding artist. The hours of piercing shows your meticulous mind at work I would have went NUTS.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Thanks for the additional comments.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Your piercing has become impeccable! I love the detail around the collar.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

11. Scott,

Very impressive work, I like the randomness with order, the bottom is outstanding and original, you are really taking it to another level, great job

This is a perfect example of someone taking a perfectly good turning, poking holes, and burning it. Excellent job. Even the 4 coats of Tung Oil Finish had to be somewhat of an ordeal with all the holes. I don't suppose that you used any Tripoli buffing on this? It looks extremely delicate, but at 3/16" thick it is likely stronger than it looks. Were you a dentist or similar in a previous life or career?

That is an amazingly awesome piece Scott! Excellent details on the top and bottom and the piercing just speaks for itself. I can see why Jim is thrilled to have it!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Scott we first met in St Paul and since then I have followed your work here and other places. This is your masterpiece, the turning the piercing and burning are just great. I was told by John Smith at our meeting yesterday that I had to look and see the piece. He is right great piece. Not sure we could ever do a swap, I can not get to that level. Ron

bump....yall need to look at this one again