Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jet JJP-12 Helical Head Conversion Documented

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    Is there a Helical Cutter Head system for the Jet 13 inch Planer-Molder ?
    B4269 just under $1k at our friends at holbren. Still a little rich for me. There may be a kit from Grizzly.

It wouldn't work for molding any more.

I just completed the upgrade, and found your post to be very helpful; thank you.

I would add another tip on reassembly:
    Wnen reinstalling the bering blocks, put the bering snap rings and washers in before bolting down the bering blocks. The screws that go through the bearing block into the antikickback dog rod and the other cross-rod can be used to pull it all together. In fact, as I write this, I realize that the entire job can be done without ever removing the snap rings.

Trent

3. Reviving an old thread here, but if anyone is still tuning in.....

First up, just a huge thanks to David Crawford for taking the time to detail his procedure, I am so happy to have found this this, so cheers.

I have started taking my machine apart for the HH installation, and just wanted to clarify a couple of things. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

First off, David mentions the feedrate being 12 fpm on the Jet HH machines, and 20 fpm on the straight knife version. I am guessing no one is too concerned about this and the results are good leaving the feedrate at 20 fpm?

Second question - David talks about moving the motor and disengaging the drive belts and chain. So far I am unsure why that would be necessary. Looks like once the front roller housing is removed the cutter block will pull out of the rear housing with no further adjustments (other than the internal grub screw securing the cutter block in the rear housing, which no one else seems to have mentioned).

Finally, as Trent Wilms mentions in the previous post, why would you remove any of the snap rings, given that they sit outside either end of the bearings?

Any help appreciated and thanks again to David and all who have contributed here.

Neil.

I just did the switch a week ago, so I don’t have much experience with the new configuration yet, but here’s what I know:

1. Right now I’m not concerned about the feed rate, but will be watching it. Someone speculated that it might lead to motor over heating if you were running the machine all day. I found that feeding work slowly on the jointer gives a much better finish. You can’t do that on the planner,of course.

2. you don’t need to remove the chain. You do need to remove the pulley from the rear of the cutterhead, so you will need to remove the belt. To do that you need to raise the motor. It’s not a big deal, but it is heavy—watch your fingers.

3. I removed the front rings, but I don’t believe it was necessary. I removed the front bearing block; you don’t need to remove the rear. When you remove the front block the front bearing will slip out, and then you can pull the cutterhead out of the rear block. Wear gloves.

it’s really a pretty easy modification. Everything went back together as easily as it came apart.

Good luck. Let me know if you have other questions.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    I just did the switch a week ago, so I don’t have much experience with the new configuration yet, but here’s what I know:
    Amazing, thanks Keith. I couldn't have asked for a clearer response. Really appreciated.

Bye for now,

Neil

6. I know this thread started very old. I am about to start on the helical head upgrade on my machine. I didn't know that there was a different in FPS between the two machines and I do want to change my machine. So, i've found and purchased the part, which I believe to be the difference, and will folllow up here.

Here is the part I ordered:

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ca...-p-938634.html

vs the non-hh version

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ca...-p-452445.html

I can't know for sure if it's the right part, but i've spent the money to find out, and i'll follow up here.

Looking at the photos, the next upgrade is to swap out the serrated roller for a rubber covered roller......eliminate the fine indents on the wood when taking super light cuts.....that and not worrying about grain direction or figure makes planing fun again!

8. I found it very useful to document the disassembly with plenty of photos and videos. Took almost all the guesswork out of re-assembly.

I know its an old thread but I'm about to do this upgrade over the weekend. Also will be replacing outfeed roller as the rubber shredded on my current one. Took 2 months to get a replacement from Jet. Anyone discover anything new for the upgrade? Trying to do my research before I attempt it