Thread: Another Tree Carving

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Today I couldn't resist working on some of the leaves just to see how it would look. I started out by cutting in the little curved cuts along the edges of the leaves. I used a router to do this since there are so many and this just removes enough material that it makes cleaning them up with carving just a bit easier and faster.I then lay in initial veins and pencil in the smaller veins that run to the edge. These get cut in with a V tool. Then it's a matter of rolling over the cut into the surface of the leaf. I then use a large gouge to make a cove from the little cutouts along the edge towards the center of the leaf. This i think gives the leaf some movement and makes it a bit more interesting to look at.
    The first photo shows the difference between some finished leaves and some in the initial stages of being roughed out. The leaf I focus on for the next 4 shots is located at the top center .
    The second shot shows the main vein,, and the smaller ones going towards the edge of the leaf. The third shot shows the beginnings of rolling the V cuts into the surface and the Gouge cuts from the cutouts. The fourth and fifth shots show the same leaf lit from different directions. The rest of the shots are just more leaves in various stages.
    Now ,, just do this a few dozen more times.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio