Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for drum sander users

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    Why on Earth they put the spring loaded clip on the motor side is one of the biggest mysteries of life.it would be so much easier to change the paper out if the spring loaded clip was on the outside.
    The rotating drum tightens the paper as it rotates. The leading edge clip remains tight and the trailing edge clip is needed to take up the slack that naturally develops. The trailing edge clip needs to be spring loaded.

This doesn't answer the question of why they put the trailing edge on the right side. I wonder if it is possible to flip the drum around and move the awkward clip to the left side. This might require flipping the sandpaper template over and cutting your own paper with the diagonal going the other way (no pre-cut rolls).

On the other hand, loading paper gets easier after doing it about a dozen times.

Steve

Here is what I found on Abranet .. comes in many grits.
    http://mirka-online.com/mirka-specia...abranet-1.html

Loading the paper on the Performax 22-44 gets easy after a few times. Taking care of the paper and using the "eraser" on it often, and treating the tool like a sander, not a planer help the longevity of the paper. I bought a few big rolls of paper, either 80, 120, or 60 and 80, but all I use now is 80 when I use it. For me the "crazy" double clip for the paper got easy to use, once I took the time to look at what it is trying to do, which is always apply tension to the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Horky View Post
    Here is what I found on Abranet .. comes in many grits.
    http://mirka-online.com/mirka-specia...abranet-1.html
    I use the "heavy duty" rolls. I don't think I would recommend the standard rolls in the drum sander.

I have a Woodmaster drum sander that takes velcro paper. I just e-mailed the link to find out if the rolls stick to velcro like the discs do. I love the discs on my ROS.
    I will report on the answer.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I have a Woodmaster drum sander that takes velcro paper. I just e-mailed the link to find out if the rolls stick to velcro like the discs do. I love the discs on my ROS.
    I will report on the answer.

Rick Potter
    Just one more FYI. With velcro, you may need to add a backing pad. I remember reading somewhere that the velcro can poke through the abranet and cause problems. I'm converting my 22-44 to velcro, actually. I'll be interested in seeing if you get the regular stuff to work with no backing pad. That would be ideal. I was going to try the heavy duty stuff with no backing pad as a first step.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    It takes me about 5 minutes to change the paper, and that includes cutting the new paper to length and tapering it. Maybe 10 minutes if I'm taking my time. I only use mine to level and thickness, so I keep 80 on mine all the time. I actually us heavy duty Abranet, and it lasts FOREVER compared to regular sandpaper.

Changing the drum is not even an option so don't spend a second thinking about it. Paper changes are trivial.
    Where does one buy Abranet paper.
    Doug

I think I just buy mine from the online Mirka store. I haven't bought anymore yet, so I don't remember exactly where I got mine...maybe Beaver...but here's where you CAN get it at any rate

http://mirka-online.com/mirka-specia...eavy-duty.html

Yeah, they are expensive, but I think I'll give it try for a roll or two.
    Thanks for the info.
    Doug

I also keep 120 pn my 22-44 sander. Probably burns up faster than 80, but like the finish.

When I purchased it, I also got a set of all the grits, but then bought a roll of the 120. Very easy to copy the "used" sandpaper, clamps work well to hold them together. Less expensive this way.

I sometimes use the sander over my planer - probably should not, but haven't gotten the last bit of snipe out, so on shorter pieces it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by doug faist View Post
    Yeah, they are expensive, but I think I'll give it try for a roll or two.
    Thanks for the info.
    Doug
    Please post a review. I'm also interested in the Abranet. I love the small sandpaper.

I'm so cheap, that I found that if you have the Performax (Jet now) paper, it's pretty much waterproof. I've soaked the paper in Simple Green to get pith and glue residue off and the paper comes out pretty clean (if you wire brush the pith out of it) and ready for another run. My sander came with an assortment, and I still have some of it in use. Don't know how waterproof the other brands are. I am wondering if you can wash the Abranet. I wet sand with it, so maybe possible.

John,

No answer yet, but the discs work just fine with the regular velcro pad on my ROS. I took a closer look at my discs and they seem to have something sprayed on the back, sort of like a lite flocking, assumably to work with the velcro.

I sent the e-mail to Beaver. Hope for a reply. If not, I will contact Mirka direct.

Rick Potter

Don't forget, there is the Velcro hook and loop alternative. Grizzly sells a self-adhesive wrap for their 24" drums. Buy a big roll of felt-backed sanding roll online and it will last you eons! Don't make this any harder than it has to be !

~~Chip~~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Don't forget, there is the Velcro hook and loop alternative. Grizzly sells a self-adhesive wrap for their 24" drums. Buy a big roll of felt-backed sanding roll online and it will last you eons! Don't make this any harder than it has to be !

~~Chip~~
    I'm doing that on my next paper change, actually. Have the kit right here. One thing I'm concerned about is that the pressure bars don't have a lot of play in them, and the added thickness may require some modification, especially with thicker HD abranet. Stay tuned

My woodmaster takes the velcro, and it has worked well for me. It's just that I love the Abranet discs, and it would be nice if the rolls would work on the drum sander too. I am gonna need some new rolls in the not too distant future.

Rick Potter