Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deflected / Sagging router lift

Deflected / Sagging router lift

I need some advise. I bought a Mast-r-lift back in August 2010. Never took it out of the box until last weekend. I finally finished the table and dropped it in. Couldn't for the life of me get it level so I checked the lift. Out of flat close to 0.01 at the middle.

I know it doesn't seem like much, but there is certainly a pronounced lip at the centers of the long edge of the plate.

I called Jessem Friday and they promised to call back after lunch. Didn't get a call.

So my question to you all is what would you guy do? Any suggestions? Anyone have a plate that is out that much? Do you ever notice?

One last note is that I mounted an Incra system? Those with the incra system think this will be an issue?

Hopefully Jessem will replace it even after so long because 10 thousands is way to much on a router plate in my opinion.

~mark

Don't be surprised if they don't call back. If it doesn't work out, you may be buying a new one.
    Too bad HF doesn't still sell their plate. It was a good one for only $15.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

if anything, it should be slightly crowned, not the opposite. 0.01" deflection is NOT acceptable!

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Don't be surprised if they don't call back. If it doesn't work out, you may be buying a new one.
    I better not buy another one. It's a $300 lift not a $30 plate.

So you say it is .01" out of flat, and then you say you know it doesn't sound like much.

Well, .01" is a ton. That is 1/100th of an inch.

Did you try calling them again? I tell people I'll call them back and sometimes forget. I always appreciate it when they call me again and let me know I've forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    So you say it is .01" out of flat, and then you say you know it doesn't sound like much.

Well, .01" is a ton. That is 1/100th of an inch.
    That's part of my question. When you think about it, it doesn't seem like that much. Like a penny to dollar. I think it is way too much, but wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.

I checked it with a dial today and am confident that it is atleast 0.008.

I called again today and was told they were super busy on Friday but that it was on her list and I wouldn't be forgotten. For whatever that's worth

You called today, and they thought it was Friday?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

You called today, and they thought it was Friday?
    no, I called on Monday and they said they were super busy Friday and that's why they didn't get back to me as promised.

It is Wednesday and I still haven't heard back

Im beginning to think Jessem's customer service is highly OVERRATED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    no, I called on Monday and they said they were super busy Friday and that's why they didn't get back to me as promised.

Patience now Kurt, you left it in the box for over 2 years. A few days waiting for a response isn't that much. I would think you could set up a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and take off .008" very quickly. Won't look so pretty, but it saves the situation if they don't make good on a purchase made over 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Patience now Kurt, you left it in the box for over 2 years. A few days waiting for a response isn't that much.
    Fair enough. I just hate when someone says they'll call back and don't. Twice now

yeah, HF don't make a lot of good stuff they used to have.

Before I tried sandpaper, I would try shimming the ends and clamping across the middle to 'deflect' it back.

(that is, if customer service completely fails)

Sandpaper would take off the anodized finish? (which you want to save, it's a harder wear surface)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post

I would have to check the turn-around time when I had a problem, but it was not over a day or two. When my lift arrived, I could not fit my router into it. They provided a good solution that took no more than 30 seconds time to fix the problem. Doubt they can do the same for an out-of-flat top. I only mentioned it because they did get back to me rather quickly.

Since the plate is aluminum, you can re-flex it back to flat by applying pressure at the ends with a fulcrum in the center. Trial and error prevails. But it will work in time. Phenolic could not be fixed like this.

JessEm is a fine lift! Worth fixing, even if customer service is no help!!

~~Chip~~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!