Thread: Looking for a mentor

Looking for a mentor

I'm new to the forum. I live in Brenham Texas. I've been thinking about buying a laser for 15 years. I'd like to find a mentor who could help me make a decision and help me figure out what I need. Any Texans out there?
    RP Edington
    Brenham, Tx=

I would highly recommend you contact Engraving Concepts in Arlington. They sell, service, support and train - everything lasers! If I were in their territory I would buy from them in a heartbeat. I know you asked for a mentor, but they will help you get the right equipment and make sure you are successful using it - can't beat that combo!

Gary

You need to formulate a business plan and define your target markets if you want to make this a profit based venture if that is your goal.
    This forum is like a giant mentor..use it..you will get lots of points of view on start up, what equipment to buy , whether its a good idea or not , what pitfalls in terms of your markets or plans and so on.....
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    You need to formulate a business plan and define your target markets if you want to make this a profit based venture if that is your goal.
    This forum is like a giant mentor..use it..you will get lots of points of view on start up, what equipment to buy , whether its a good idea or not , what pitfalls in terms of your markets or plans and so on.....
    I completely agree with Rodney and would like to add one thing that has served me well. Keep an open mind. Many start their business with products/goals in mind. This may change. You never know where the business will lead you. We started with very specific items and services. The business led us on a few different paths. We listened to our customers and what they were looking for and needed. Explored those avenues and branched out. Keep an open mind.
    Doug
    For all that I know there is so much more to learn.

Robert,

You have a chance to win a brand new Trotec Speedy 100 60 watt machine in just a few weeks right here at The Creek.

Im not starting a business. I just want to get one and make enough plaques for the Fire Department and Blue Bell Ice Cream to try to pay off the machine. I'm going to retire in two years. I'm through with working! I guess I'm looking for a close by friend
    RP

If your close make a trip to Engraving Concepts. Roy Brewer from there has many post on YouTube and is highly reguarded.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

If you gonna buy a laser to tinker with and you fairly handy , bearing in mind money might be tight , I would look at chinese models.(assuming you not violently anti "furriner" when it comes to purchasing)
    I think you will get more mentoring here , especially technical , than anywhere else. It is nice to have a knowledgeable pal close at hand , but finding one might prove difficult , those in business would rather devote the time to increasing their business and might view you as "competition" , dealers have agendas that are geared to selling and would give support , but it's not going to be comprehensive mentoring.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

If you come down to Houston, let me know. I might be able to help.

Thanks and ....
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

+2 on Engraving Concepts.... A Good Team and in your area...

It would be worth looking at the Tax Side of actually starting a small business legally. You could claim the laser and deduct it over 5 or 7 years plus other Tax benefits. Watch Zoning Laws too.

Also read up on Copyright Laws and the use of Logos. Many think that the Laser is a great way to print money as in making stuff with Logos on it... Harley, VFW, Boy Scouts, and many others watch the net for pictures posted and could generate a Cease and Desist Letter...

A Mentor is GOOD....

Welcome and Good Luck,

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Hi Robert, I'm down in Houston as well, although lived in Brenham for a few years (went to Blinn) and stayed a few years afterwards. If I can give ya some help just send me a PM with your contact info or I can send you mine. I still get up that way every so often

Greg

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128