Thread: Chuck advice for new midi lathe

Chuck advice for new midi lathe

I'm going to be entering the brave new world of round spinny woodworking with the addition of a Delta 46-460 to my shop. I'm a bit confused and unlearned on chuck/jaw choices.

There is a special [reversible] version of the Nova G3 for the Delta (G3-D) for around $120. Alternatively, the SuperNova2, which I understand is a little beefier, is on sale at Woodcraft currently as a 4-jaw set for 199. I'm not sure which jaws I really need - I plan on making small to mid-sized projects ranging from pens and chess pieces to boxes and mid-sized bowls. Is the SN2 set a good deal? Or should I go with the G3D and add jaws as I need them?

If I went with the SN2, I'd also need to add an insert specific for my lathe, correct?

Do I need any other chuck-related things to get started? A Jacobs chuck for drill bits?

Head is spinning but I'm excited!

Everyone has a favorite chuck, all work well.Just size the chuck to the 12" swing lathe..i.e. a smaller type vs a real heavy one. Personal choice. Yes you will need a 1x8 adapter. If you have a drill press, you can get by without the jacobs. I see you will make pens..I prefer a jacobs & drilling on the lathe, but it is not necessary
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

You can get a G3 from e-bay shipped with insert for 125 last time I checked. Make sure you get the reversible insert. If you get the version with the insert, in the event that you upgrade to a bigger lathe, you can swap out the insert and keep the chuck. I would think the G3 would be sufficient for what you can turn on the Delta. The SN2 may be a little big for it, but it will also work. If in case you didn't already know, all the Nova chucks jaws interchange, so you could buy a G3 AND a SN2 with the jaw package. Use jaws on either chuck.....

Welcome and good luck hangng on to your wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    Everyone has a favorite chuck, all work well.Just size the chuck to the 12" swing lathe..i.e. a smaller type vs a real heavy one. Personal choice. Yes you will need a 1x8 adapter. If you have a drill press, you can get by without the jacobs. I see you will make pens..I prefer a jacobs & drilling on the lathe, but it is not necessary
    Thank you Michelle. BTW, your work is very inspirational to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    You can get a G3 from e-bay shipped with insert for 125 last time I checked. Make sure you get the reversible insert. If you get the version with the insert, in the event that you upgrade to a bigger lathe, you can swap out the insert and keep the chuck. I would think the G3 would be sufficient for what you can turn on the Delta. The SN2 may be a little big for it, but it will also work. If in case you didn't already know, all the Nova chucks jaws interchange, so you could buy a G3 AND a SN2 with the jaw package. Use jaws on either chuck.....

Welcome and good luck hangng on to your wallet!
    Thank you Kyle. Forgive my naivete, but why would I want more than one chuck? I know folks end up with more than one...is it that the chucks are easier to switch out than the jaws?

The G3 or G3-D are both fine, the G3 with insert and shipping $5 more so it all depends if you ever want to move the chuck to a larger lathe. The G3-D is direct threaded instead of an insert. I do like the jaws on the G3-D better because they have serrations like spigot jaws for holding boxes better.
    The SN2 takes a few more large jaws than the G3 and can be had from the service center for $100 plus insert and shipping (probably about 135). Again it doesn't really matter unless you think you may get a larger lathe sometime in the future. The G3 will do everything your lathe can do. I would buy the jaws separately.
    The WC kit which is on sale has the soft jaws (normally about $18 or on sale for about $10). I'v had a set I won for about 3 years and have never used them. The WC set has the 25mm bowl jaws which is OK but for $46 you can get the Pin Jaws on Amazon. They do everything the 25mm bowl does plus a lot more. From what you said I think the Pin Jaws will be much better for you.
    They are out now but Amazon normally has the 70mm jaws (completely different from the 75mm bowl jaws). They allow a larger tenon and when I bought mine they were $28 and free shipping.
    Jmho but I would go with the G3-D because of the difference in the 50mm jaws and get a set of the Pin Jaws from Amazon. These will cover a lot of ground and you can add other jaw sets later.
    Last edited by Michael Mills; 12-07-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

The SN2 is not recommended for the 46-460. See the Teknatool site. The G3 is though. I have 2 and they do a great job.

[QUOTE=Victor Robinson;2015880] why would I want more than one chuck?QUOTE]

It's part of that dreaded woodturning disease. If enough is good, more must be better..... Right?

I have "only" 4 chucks. They all have different jaws, so I guess you're right, I hate to change jaws.

I would get the standard G3 in case you ever change to a different/bigger lathe, you won't have to chunk the chuck. I bought a 4 jaw G3 set from Woodcraft and added the 100mm bowl jaws from Amazon, would love to have another chuck. I've used the cole jaws a couple of times. Haven't used the pin jaws yet but I have some projects on the 'to-do' list that will use them (Tops, chess pieces, birdhouses). Changing jaws is a bit of a pain, not major though. Kind of like setting up a dado set. It's a pain to go back and forth- it'd be nice to have a dedicated dado table saw, but I can't justify the expense. I'll probably end up with more chucks down the road, but I'm still assembling my turning tools.
    Where did I put that?

Victor, remember that small lathe, small chuck. Look at the weight differences between the two. I went the oneway route and use the Talon and the Stronghold. As someone said, get a chuck with a replaceable insert. Don't get the insert from Woodcraft. As to why buy more than one chuck, woodturners are the laziest people in the world when it comes to changing chuck jaws. We would rather buy another chuck(cost bedamned)than spend a couple of minutes changing jaws. I think that I have sixteen chucks, but my lathes have three different spindle sizes. Oh yeah, take a picture of your money now, because the vortex will get it all.

That you everyone, much has been clarified. The dado stack analogy makes a lot of sense, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    ...woodturners are the laziest people in the world...
    Joe, if this is a defining characteristic I s'pose I'll fit right in.