Thread: Delta lathe stand question

Delta lathe stand question

Those who have the 46-460 midi lathe with extension, do you use the stand? Or did you build your own? Is the Delta stand rigid enough or do you have vibration problems?

I have a lathe on order and am wondering whether to order a stand plus extension or build my own.

Thanks as always for your input.

Tim;
    When I first bought my 46-460 I got the stand also. It was a mistake for what I was doing (bowls from logs). Because I was not able to make the blanks round the lathe would almost walk across the room. I ended up making a bench and weighting it with sand.
    So I guess it would all depend on what you plan to do with the lathe.
    In any event you are going to love that machine.

3. I just got the lathe with the stand......not the extension.......I have a large lathe for long stuff. One owner told me he put a 2x8 over the back of the legs and put a couple of bags of sand on them for ballast.........that should really help and with the extension, just make the 2x8 longer and add a couple more bags for weight.......

Of course, bolting down on a bench would stabilize even more, but then you have a trade off because of the amount of curlees that normally fall to the floor with the stand will accumulate under the bed and have to be cleaned out very frequently.......depends on how you intend to use the lathe most, I would think............good luck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Good info, thanks guys.

I also have it with the stand and extension. I've NEVER had any wobble problems, but I turn mostly pens and small bowls from dried stock. Mine is neither bolted down nor weighted. It would be easy though, to make a "saddle" to fit over the extension leg and throw a couple sand bags in if necessary. I really like my set up. Moved up from the Rikon mini.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

I do not have the extension, but I did get the stand with my 46-460 a couple of years ago and still use it. I have roughed out some pretty uneven chunks of heavy green wood and if the lathe started rocking, I would just turn the speed down until it was round. Since I started rounding blanks on a bandsaw, it is a non-issue now anyway.

I prefer the easy access on all sides that a stand provides rather than mounting on a bench. I do not regret buying the stand.

I have since bolted the stand to a couple of short lengths of 6x6. This increases stability a little but I mostly did it to raise the lathe up (I am 6'4") and make long turning sessions easier on my back.

I have the extension but do not use the stand. I have 2 Craftsman lower toolboxes with a laminated top I built. I bolted the top to the toolboxes and it does not move. The tool boxes are perfect for all of the accessories.

I bought the stand for the delta 46-460 and extension because I knew that I would be moving around every few years due to my job (I'm currently in the process of moving to Louisiana) It seemed like it would be easier to set up and take down. I also didn't want to spend time making a stand and instead get straight to turning. So far I have been happy with the set up. I have not had any stability issues but I don't turn anything large on it.

Delta MIDI stand

IMG_4929.JPGIMG_4914.JPG

Tim,

I am new to this forum and have the Delta MIDI. It replaces my 1984 Craftsman lathe that I purchased with the metal cabinet base I/2 drawers and 1/2 2 shelf storage area with door. I have not turned too much between 84' and now. I sold the Craftsman and kept the bench/cabinet and have found the Delta to be quite stable on it. I will purchase the extension in Feb. 2013 but, have purchased a lot of accessories such as face plates, 4 jaw chucks(2), pen mandrel, etc. I, at the moment turn mostly small things and have completed several lamps(from bowling pins), wood mallets(also from bowling pins), candle holders, tea candlelites(flameless) so far. The bowling pin lamps came back to mind after reading a post on a scroll saw site and it reminded me of the times in shop class(late 1950's)of using bowling pins for various projects for our moms. If I did not have a good base for the MIDI, I would have made one myself. Through my work, I have access to a lot of #2 kiln dried pine in 4/4, 5/4 and 6/4 lumber 4,6 & 8" wide in lengths up to 6' so materials would be free and most things that I make are from recycled lumber.

Rodney