Thread: Laser Engraving process

Laser Engraving process

Hi all,

This is the method I used to process images for black granite and I was wondering if it is the correct method or if anyone can suggest a better method / or is my method wrong.

Method:
    I crop the image in corel using their cut out lab
    I then paste it on photoshop, fade the edges. Then I convert it to grayscale 8 bit. I auto process it on Photograv 300dpi and run the machine.

Do I always have to edit the photos contrast etc as I never do that? Some photos come out amazing but some come out terrible. Could anyone suggest anything which I might not be doing? If I should be editing some settings, which should I edit and to what values?

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Saurav Gupta View Post
    Hi all,

This is the method I used to process images for black granite and I was wondering if it is the correct method or if anyone can suggest a better method / or is my method wrong.

Method:
    I crop the image in corel using their cut out lab
    I then paste it on photoshop, fade the edges. Then I convert it to grayscale 8 bit. I auto process it on Photograv 300dpi and run the machine.

Do I always have to edit the photos contrast etc as I never do that? Some photos come out amazing but some come out terrible. Could anyone suggest anything which I might not be doing? If I should be editing some settings, which should I edit and to what values?

Thank you!!
    I always do a bit of tweaking on photopaint using the colour adjustment.. I desaturate it first, to remove the colour, then with the brightness/contrast/midtone/etc. adjustments I wteak it til it looks perfect (to my eye anyway) then click ok, and convert it to a 8 bit greyscale and process it in photograv(I use the old one) using the generic black granite setting.. then engrave
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

The difference between some pictures is that some have great contrast and others are quite "grey?" In Photoshop there is an option "Curves". In grey there is a Histogram and a line from left-down to right-up. If you see zero-values on the left and/or right you can make the line steeper bij moving the upper and lower points to the middle.
    More contrast can be made by draging halfway-left a bit down and pulling halfway right a bit up... you will get a kind of S-curve.
    If you play with it and compare several pictures you will soon notice what you need to do to get an average good picture..

Kees
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Soeters View Post
    The difference between some pictures is that some have great contrast and others are quite "grey?" In Photoshop there is an option "Curves". In grey there is a Histogram and a line from left-down to right-up. If you see zero-values on the left and/or right you can make the line steeper bij moving the upper and lower points to the middle.
    More contrast can be made by draging halfway-left a bit down and pulling halfway right a bit up... you will get a kind of S-curve.
    If you play with it and compare several pictures you will soon notice what you need to do to get an average good picture..

Kees
    Thank you, I will try that. I have noticed that when I etch some older people, it is more grey like you mentioned, so I will play around with the Curves and etch them both to compare the difference.

Saurav

It is always helpful if you can post photos of the work in question.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7