Thread: What is the Lumber Yard section of the website ?

What is the Lumber Yard section of the website ?

What is the Lumber Yard section of the Sawmill Creek website ? All it says is that it is a private forum.

Thanks,

Similar to this section, but you need to pay the few dollars a year to access it. I guess the idea is that it allows communication that is not accessible to the general public.

Idle chit-chat like you find here.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The Lumberyard is a private forum with access limited to those members who have become financial contributors to SMC for the suggested $5-6 per year. It is one of the benefits given to those who help support the Creek along with a larger sized avatar and the ability to post items for personal sale in the Classifieds forum. I probalby shouldn't say this, but on controversial subjects the moderator staff allows a little bit more leeway than on the Off Topic Forum since the contributors almost uniformly show great respect for the personal opinions of others and we almost never have to do any editing to bring things back within the Terms of Service.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    ....... I probalby shouldn't say this, but on controversial subjects the moderator staff allows a little bit more leeway than on the Off Topic Forum since the contributors almost uniformly show great respect for the personal opinions of others and we almost never have to do any editing to bring things back within the Terms of Service.
    Yeah, Dave.....actually I think you probably should say that.

I see LY as a forum for discussion of difficult subjects where reasonable people can have a conversation within the bounds of civility. And - personally - Contributors nearly always fit within my definition of "reasonable people".

I know that i have personally initiated discussion of a couple touchy subjects - I generally get a blessing from the Mod Squad first - because I am interested in what this group has to say on that particular topic.

Everyone has a keyboard, ya' know. Those that want to light up the sky with rockets and roman candles carry on conversations under the Dome, protected by a pseudonym, in the OT section of that wild-and-woolly other forum - He Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned. That's perfectly fine, of course - they operate within the confines of their rules and culture. As do we here at SMC.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have been a contributing member for 2 1/2 years and have only posted twice in the lumber yard, you haven't missed much. Of course that does not mean that you shouldn't become a contributing member. This is a great forum and the contributing members keep it going.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

It's no big deal. Secret handshakes and plans for world domination and stuff like that.