Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: maple rocking chair

maple rocking chair

Hi Everyone,
    I thought I would post some photos of a rocker that I made a while ago. As you know it seems like everyone tries not to copy another persons design. Instead, one tries to put their own creativeness into their work. So I came up with this design. It is made out of hard maple. All of it is bent lamination. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also please critique it, good or bad. Thanks for looking. Pete

DSC01051.jpg

DSC01054.jpg

DSC01045.jpg
    Pete Lamberty

That's beautiful. It reminds me a bit of the Veritas super duper premium block plane with all of the swept back lines. I'm curious as to the seating position, though. It seems like one would be leaning very far back in this chair. I bet it's really easy to fall asleep in.

Wow! Just WOW! Amazingly well done.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

I really like it! The seat does seem to be tilted way back (but I like the look).
    Does it make it hard to get out of or is that the idea??

Jim

Hi Billy,
    Although the chair tilts back a bit when it is unoccupied, it doesn't when a person sits in it. Everyone who has sat in it has remarked at how comfortable it is. When a person sits in a rocker, the rocker should rock at the neutral spot. A point where a person doesn't feel like he is going to be pitched out forward or tip over backwards. But he should rock at that perfect spot that is in between those two. This chair sits at the neutral spot when occupied. Also the seat to back angle is about 100 degrees. This also makes the chair appear to tilt back.
    From a more artistic point of view, I wanted movement in the chairs appearance. I also think that any chair is unoccupied more than it is occupied. Shouldn't it look great when it is unoccupied?
    Thanks for your comments. Pete
    Pete Lamberty

Hi Jim,
    No, it is easy to get out of. It isn't like a Adirondack chair. When sitting, a persons knees are not higher than their hips. Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    I really like it! The seat does seem to be tilted way back (but I like the look).
    Does it make it hard to get out of or is that the idea??

Jim
    Pete Lamberty

It looks like I would want to stay in for awhile!
    I reall ylike the look and after hearing about the "neutral rocking point", I like it even more!

Jim

Blog Entries
    Very futuristic looking. Cool swept-back design. The light wood really serves the style well. I would need arms to get out of it though ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

How many horsepower are we talking about? That chair is awesome.

Looks fast, even when sitting still!

John

I don't know if rocking chairs go fast but if they did this one would be a screamer. Well made chair and very original.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Cool. The first thing I thought of was a stylized weapon like a Klingon Bat'leth.
    As others have mentioned it looks like it is in motion while sitting still.
    images.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    Looks fast, even when sitting still!

John
    My first impression exactly, beautiful original lines.

Not my cuppa tea, but very nice !!
    MARK

Beautiful chair and I really do think it looks comfortable. Old man Maloof said you can make a chair that is beautiful to look at but if it doesn't sit well, it isn't a good chair. That looks like a good chair to me. Great work.