Thread: Baldor 8100W Grinder

Baldor 8100W Grinder

I'm currently using the Woodcraft slow speed grinder with D-Way CBN wheels for lathe tool sharpening. This suffices but I do have some amount of "wobble" and have thought about upgrading to a Baldor but haven't been able to force myself to pay the price for new.

i located a Baldor 8100W on Craig's List for $125 and the owner said it works perfectly. I've attached the Craig's List link below if you care to look at pictures. Moderators: Please let me know if this is improper.

http:// batonrouge.craigslist.org/tls/3436970276.html

I'm scheduled to go look at the grinder this evening and the gentleman is holding it for me. Does this price seem fair and is there anything specifically that I should look for other than general condition?

Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Ned
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 11-28-2012 at 9:04 AM. Reason: direct links to CL are only allowed in Deals & Discount Forum

Bring a set of trued wheels along with you. This grinder will have a 5/8" arbor. Make sure the wheels run true and have no bounce. Grab the wheels and make sure there is no play up and down. It should run so quietly you almost can't hear it. Run if it whines. If all elas is good, forget the appearance, jump on it. The price is a steal.
    faust

Amen with Faust's term "steal" if its in good condition at all, as it normally sells for nearly $700!

The Baldor has a 3/4 inch arbor, I have 2 of them. For that price, drive over and pick it up now!!!!!!! Oh yea, it weighs about 90 pounds, so have help or a strong back. You will need a new bushing from Dave. Also, the flanges that come standard on the Baldor only work with flat wheels. There is a nib on the shaft for driving the flanges that hold standard wheels. You can file that off, or like I did get machined washers (mine were about 5/8 thick by 1 1/4 diameter with a 3/4 plus a hair so you don't have to force it over the shaft, and I cut a slot in it with my jig saw and a metal blade to go over the nib), which were about $15 each, to space the wheel away from the nib.

You can use the stamped washers from the big box stores, but they are not very accurate. With all of the different CBN wheels, and 5 or so of those washers, there is some side ways wobble at start up, but when up to full speed, they run fairly true. Little to no run out on the face of the wheel.

PM sent.

robo hippy
    Last edited by Reed Gray; 11-28-2012 at 12:47 PM.

I got a used one for $200. If it's in good condition, get it. These things are tanks.

With those CBN wheels, I wonder how long it will take to spin down...
    Where did I put that tape measure...