Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flagpoles

Flagpoles

My brothers and I want to give our dad an outdoor, ground-mounted flagpole and U.S. flag for Christmas. Our budget is $150. I've looked a bit and it seems a 20' aluminum pole will be appropriate for a single-story house, but I need to choose either a sectional pole with traditional rope-and-pulley or a telescoping pole which eliminates the pulley system but does not allow you to lower a flag to half staff. Which should I choose?

We have a local flag manufacturer who sells quality nylon and polyester 3x5 flags in the $30-35 range. But their pole prices seem high, starting at $250. It seems I can get a decent pole cheaper online but I should try to get the largest diameter and gauge thickness that the budget will allow.

Also, I know the flag needs to be lit at night. We do have power and an outlet at the install site.

If you are going to get a flag pole to fly the American flag, then you need to get one that allows full and proper posting of the flag. What will your father do when a president dies? With the extendable, his only choice is to take the flag down.
    There are other reasons to fly a flag at half mast.
    The extendible post is for persons who don't understand the concept.
    Mike
    FWIW Norm Abrams made a flagpole on one of his shows.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I have a sectional pole with rope and pulley but find myself coveting the ease of my neighbor's telescoping pole. Perhaps he could drop it down a couple of sections and fly the flag on a short pole for the rare occasions when it calls for a half staff. If that doesn't qualify as half staff then I am sure I could rig up something with a strap when it called for half staff. The telescoping poles are certainly more convenient and the flag does not wrap around the pole during shifting wind days.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Sectional, without a doubt. Here's mine, a 20 footer from the big box years ago. IIRC it was less than $100. It usually has a smaller flag on it, but when I'm really feeling the love I fly my retirement flag.

DSC_0137 (Small).jpg

I purchased my flag pole from Wal-Mart for $70. It is around 15 feet tall, made of aluminum and has served me well for the past 8 years and is still in good shape in spite of some very serious straight line winds that sheared 17 of my pine trees off at around 15 feet above grade.
    David B

Blog Entries
    I made my 20' pole out of two sections of pvc coated 2" steel electrical conduit. I have a 3' piece cemented in the ground and two full sections above ground. It has worked well for over 12 years, including a lightning strike 2 years ago. A PVC pipe cape, a stainless bolt and nut with a stainless S-hook and pulley make up the top cap. I fly a 4 x 6 flag on it with no problems. The best priced flags for the money can be purchased through the American Legion online store. These are top quality "Made in USA" flags and they hold up very well.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I didn't realize the American Legion sold flags. It looks like they are less expensive than even buying them wholesale. I'll try to remember that the next time I buy a flag for the church school.

Shawn -

I glanced over at HF and they had one for $50, but the reviews weren't all that great. Especially when it came to wind.

Found these two for under $100.

http://www.shop.flagspolesandmore.co...FU6mPAodejAAeQ

http://www.united-states-flag.com/st...FbKiPAodG0kAvw

Hmm, a thread on flagpoles...........Interesting.

It's the one thing I notice when travelling in the USA, many private residences have flags/flag poles, it's not very common in Canada by any means.....Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

It's the one thing I notice when travelling in the USA, many private residences have flags/flag poles, it's not very common in Canada by any means.....Regards, Rod.
    Hey Rod,
    You could be a real trend setter ya know.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Hey Rod,
    You could be a real trend setter ya know.
    Not a bad suggestion Dennis...........Rod.

how high are the flags suppose to be above the ground or top of the snow in this fine nation of Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

It's funny, but it's almost like flying a Canadian flag at a private residence is almost politically incorrect.. And Ray,to answer your question:
    how high are the flags suppose to be above the ground or top of the snow in this fine nation of Canada
    Probably not much difference than the U.S. Particularly where I live, because a full 30% of the U.S. is further north than I am, and probably has more snow too..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    It's funny, but it's almost like flying a Canadian flag at a private residence is almost politically incorrect.. And Ray,to answer your question:
    Probably not much difference than the U.S. Particularly where I live, because a full 30% of the U.S. is further north than I am, and probably has more snow too..
    Hi Bill, I know your answer about the flags is going to sound funny, however it really is rare to see a flag on a house here, that's why it's so noticeable when I travel in the US.

I don't know about the snow however, you receive a lot in Innisfil, much more than where I live and you're only an hour drive away...........Regards, Rod.

When we used to vacation in Maine, I saw quite a number of Canadian flags flying next to American ones at multi-national households. I guess it's a US thing, especially since 9/11. I kind of like it, since you're supposed to be proud of your country, even of you don't live there any more. I am more concerned when driving in rural areas in Texas and I see a Confederate battle flag flying on a county courthouse. On the same staff as, and properly below, the US and Texas flags of course, but still...
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.