Thread: a part time job...

a part time job...

I just thought that I would show the result of about 2 week into the pecan season. This is the discarded hull pile from the pecan processing equipment at my shop. I built my shop in 2 sections, one is 20'x30' for the pecan processing equipment, the other 30'x40' is for the turning "studio". I have enjoyed the turning side a lot, but the money sure is nice from the pecan side, it helps finance the turning as well as a decent amount of spending money. This pile has grown a lot bigger and I give it away to people to use as mulch for gardens. After 3-4 months of cracking I will have a small mountain. All total I will crack around 40K pounds this year, that is a conservative estimate. Saturday one customer will bring 1,000 #s and that will just take the morning. By March I will be tired of them but by November I will miss the extra income.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Russell Eaton; 11-27-2012 at 9:16 AM.

Russell,

We all gotta do something for fun on occasion. I remember cracking them the hard way when I was a kid in OK-mom made all us kids help out. The pies were worth it 'tho. I also think the shell can be used for sandblasting, maybe there is a market for that locally??

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Ever try cracking black walnuts? I never learned the secret. I love pecans and when I visit relatives in Georgia I always bring home a bag or two. Wish I had a side line to bring in a little change.
    David B

Looks like quite the little business! When I lived down South, used to stop and pick up bags of pecans for Christmas pies and cookies! Good memories!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Russell Eaton I like your idea.