Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: The Veritas Jack Rabbet Plane

Review: The Veritas Jack Rabbet Plane

Here is a link to a review on my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...bbetPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nice review Derek. Your work around for shooting is brilliant! I would have never thought of that.

One of the first thoughts I had when I saw the plane was why LV didn't include some detachable sides, seeing as there were already those bolt holes there. Glad to see the idea works well in practice.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Derek, from a purely panel raising perspective, would you prefer this plane over the Veritas skew rebate?

The shooting board idea is great. You could even make a skewed side piece so that the shooting board itself didn't need to be angled. There's all kinds of possibilities there.

Bill,I think this plane has the advantage to follow the grain direction because the blade is straight and not skew and also because the fence can be mounted of either side of the plan.
    Last edited by Eugenio Musto; 11-26-2012 at 2:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    Great review as usual Derek.

Thanks,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very nice review! I was especially excited to see your shooting board. I had actually sent an email to Mr. Lee a few weeks ago asking if they were planning to make a fully lapped side plate using the provided screw holes. I thought it would have been a cheap and effective way to create another excellent use for this plane. I had been on the fence a bit about buying a plane like this but I may have to consider it all the more deeply after seeing your shooting board.

Nice review Derek - thanks.
    You neglected to list the LN LA jack rabbet as a competitor. Whatddya think?

JP

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    One of the first thoughts I had when I saw the plane was why LV didn't include some detachable sides, seeing as there were already those bolt holes there. Glad to see the idea works well in practice.
    Hi Joshua

That was one of my comments to LV after trying out the plane. My thoughts ran to the Stanley (and LN) #140. In use this may be impractical, nevertheless it is a reasonable idea.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rhodus View Post
    Derek, from a purely panel raising perspective, would you prefer this plane over the Veritas skew rebate?
    Hi Bill

Aside from the obvious benefit of a skewed blade for cross grain planning, the short length of the rebate plane makes it easier to use for rebates. For panel raising, the Jack Rabbet is superior. It can close up its mouth to take a fine shaving, and so is capable of greater precision when that is required.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 11-27-2012 at 9:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPeter Lee View Post
    Nice review Derek - thanks.
    You neglected to list the LN LA jack rabbet as a competitor. Whatddya think?

JP
    Hi JP

The LN is a different beast. I have only handled it at LN Shows, and not attempted to compare it with the LV. Firstly, the LN is a smaller plane, about 12" in length. LN traditionally follow the lines set down by Stanley, and their version does not vary from this recipe. As such it does not have the provision for a fence, is slightly narrower, and has a fixed handle. A more historically accurate plane.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Thanks Derek for another great review!

I always enjoy your posts and your insight into the practical "usability" of the hand tools you evaluate is always extremely helpful-- especially for someone like me who doesn't have a chance to try out tools before ordering them.

I have the LN skewed rabbet plane, with detachable side that I've used for raising panels and I would like something with a little more mass and length. I'm wondering if in all your plane building experience if you've ever built a dedicated panel raising plane and if you think the result/performance would be worth the effort given the the commercial planes currently available like the Lee Valley Rabbit?

Thanks again for the insight and expertise you consistently share with your fellow woodworkers.

All the best, Mike

I bit of an old thread but just can't stay silent about that. Since Derek reviewed Jack Rabbet as all-rounder, I was thinking about having one as a... ehm... jack of all trades. And then it struck me like a thunder: it has no sides!

I mean yeah, it's indeed rabbet plane and it is supposed to do so but why do we need these side part at all? I can think of two applications squaring the edge and flattening face. For squaring the edge Rob Cosman has demonstrated his method in that video, he uses side to ride on lower side of the board edge and thus removing material from higher side. I personally find that method very convenient and providing more stable result than one suggested by Paul Sellers (locating center of mass to the right/left of the board).
    Flattening. During the process plane can ride on the sides preventing scooping a hole in the center of the board. Just the opposite of what rabbet plane designed for.

Although those effects can be negligible due to slight rotation of the sole during planing one should take it into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Zagubny View Post
    ...I mean yeah, it's indeed rabbet plane and it is supposed to do so but why do we need these side part at all? I can think of two applications squaring the edge and flattening face. For squaring the edge Rob Cosman has demonstrated his method in that video, he uses side to ride on lower side of the board edge and thus removing material from higher side. I personally find that method very convenient and providing more stable result than one suggested by Paul Sellers (locating center of mass to the right/left of the board)...
    For squaring (jointing) an edge of a board, I set the fence so my jack rabbet is balanced on the edge of the board (actually a tick heavy on the non-fence side). As I ride the fence along my reference face, square comes automatically, all I have to work at is getting the edge straight.

p.s. That under-slung fence is also available/fits the Veritas Custom Bench planes.